Mex Shelby for sale, very unusual

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It amazes me that people see value in the Shelby failures. He failed at everything he tried. Ford dropped him in 66 and built in house. He tried the Europe models and mexican and they flopped. But somehow he gets praise for his failures. Talk to Gale Halderman about what he did on the Mustang. Nothing either Ford or Holman & Moody. Same for the GT-40. He was like professional wrestling all fake. Shelby road everyones coat tails and how I do not know. Shelby was a fraud and nobody can show otherwise.
Wow.  Has anybody ever done anything right in the history of the automotive industry except you?  Never mind... don't answer that.

It's hard to think of someone as a failure when they're openly celebrated as they are.  I mean, how many people have written articles, books, TV specials, and even movies about David of Carolina Mountain Mustangs?  Seems to me that Carroll Shelby must've done at least something right.

It also completely boggles the mind how people get lambasted for pointing out imperfections with over-priced imperfect cars, but this kind of tripe gets a pass.  

:threadjacked:

I was thinking that it looks like it's more front end damage because a driver along the way couldn't fathom that it's over 9 feet from the tip of their nose to the bumper. ;)
+1, that's what I was thinking, too. The way the last couple of feet drop down doesn't help drivers who sit low in the seat, either.

Is it me, or do just about all of these cars in rough shape ('71-'73 Mustangs) seem to have damage to the front corners of the fenders?   :whistling:
I see a lot of that on the original front fender, passenger side. Picture shows the paint cracking from filler under it.

Being from the tool and die industry I have seen where it was cheaper to continue to run the die rather than fix it. Especially if it was almost the end of the run for that part.

Then they just use more filler on the car to fix the imperfection. I was called to Detroit lines several times due to someone running the die over with a bolt between the die. I honestly think they just wanted to go home or was pissed at there boss's. When I got there from 4 towns away I would scramble to weld it up, grind it in to get the shut height correct. Then polish it as fast as I could and get the die running again.
I was thinking that it looks like it's more front end damage because a driver along the way couldn't fathom that it's over 9 feet from the tip of their nose to the bumper. ;)

But, I get your sentiment - makes sense.  ::thumb::
Possibly a "O" shoot bump ? The only way to really know is have a hand full of cars and blast the front fender to bare metal. Then you could see if there is a sheet metal wrinkle in the steel. 

I like your synopsis the best! that way Ford isnt to blame  :cool:

I see a lot of that on the original front fender, passenger side. Picture shows the paint cracking from filler under it.

Being from the tool and die industry I have seen where it was cheaper to continue to run the die rather than fix it. Especially if it was almost the end of the run for that part.

Then they just use more filler on the car to fix the imperfection. I was called to Detroit lines several times due to someone running the die over with a bolt between the die. I honestly think they just wanted to go home or was pissed at there boss's. When I got there from 4 towns away I would scramble to weld it up, grind it in to get the shut height correct. Then polish it as fast as I could and get the die running again.

But, I get your sentiment - makes sense.  ::thumb::
Possibly a "O" shoot bump ? The only way to really know is have a hand full of cars and blast the front fender to bare metal. Then you could see if there is a sheet metal wrinkle in the steel. 

I like your synopsis the best! that way Ford isnt to blame  :cool:
Exactly right ("O" shoot bump)!  3 out of 3 sets of original fenders I had (from mine and 2 parts cars), all 6 fenders had front end damage.  I also suspect mine had the fenders replaced at some point in its past life as all four pieces of bright rocker trim were missing from the fronts when I got it (along with the front valance as well).

I think these cars used a different rear axle than US-built models.

Its either that different axle width or incorrect wheels that make the rear wheel/ quarter opening look horrible...

Mex GT351 RF View.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Its either that different axle width or incorrect wheels that make the rear wheel/ quarter opening look horrible...
Don’t know a lot about the difference between US and Mexican built cars but i believe 351 W and Dana rear axle are a few of them.

Don’t know a lot about the difference between US and Mexican built cars but i believe 351 W and Dana rear axle are a few of them.
I have not found any definitive source of info on Mexican built mustangs from 71-73. the info out there is either anecdotal or first hand experience.  you cannot get a Marti report on foreign VIN's.  I have a 73 Mex Mach 1. I happen to heave the original paperwork including dealer invoice etc.  I have not found a build sheet, but who knows, might be under the seat or something.  mine is a 351W 4v 4spd toploader.  I can tell you that it is a dana rear.  I also know that the shift linkages are not the same as a US 73 Mach 1, because I bought the US linkages and they were the wrong length.  according to folklore, in 73, there were only 300 Mex Mach 1's built , so info is scarce. in fact the the seller I purchased from didn't think it was a Mach 1 because the VIN is different.  I bought it thinking it was a Sportsroof. was a pleasant surprise when  found it to be a real Mach 1

There are no Marti reports available on any Mexican built Mustang as they are "Knock Down" kits.  Those are incomplete vehicle shells that did not move under their own power and did not have a Vin. These should not be confused with export models which were complete running vehicles with a complete U.S. Vin built specifically for sales in another country. The Marti reports are derived from info on the Ford invoice (AKA  Lois Eminger reports).  The invoice contained retail and dealer cost of base price and options. The invoice also included freight and other miscellaneous accounting info the dealer needed to put in their accounting system. These body shells were not built as a complete vehicle in the U.S. and were assigned a Vin when completed in Mexico, therefore they are not in the Ford U.S. database.

Mexico had some extremely strong laws on the component content of vehicles manufactured there. The engine, transmission, and differential were manufactured and supplied to the  La Villa plant from local Mexican manufacturing plants. The 351W engine and transmissions were Ford of Mexico built but the differential was supplied from a local Dana plant since Ford did not manufacture 8" or 9" units in Mexico.

Obtaining correct and accurate info on these cars can be a daunting task. These are vehicles approaching the 50-year-old mark that the majority of us didn't know even existed, were built in limited numbers, and are not in any Ford (U.S.) database.   :)

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, I figure my Mex Mach 1 is worth at least $100k because its such low production. we all know that rarity = valuable....just look at the price of a rust-free AMC Eagle !

yeah, I figure my Mex Mach 1 is worth at least $100k because its such low production.  we all know that rarity = valuable....just look at the price of a rust-free AMC Eagle !
rofl rofl rofl

Back