Million dollar Falcon

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Coupe 302 Auto RHD
Well it was only a matter of time for one of our "Aussie" classics to sell for a million dollars or more

For those that haven't heard of them a 1971 Falcon XY GTHO Phase 3 was at the time the fastest 4 door sedan in the world with around 300 made going for a little over $5000 off the showroom floor. Designed mostly for racing there were a few intrepid racers who purchased these beasts right off the showroom floor, drove to the race track and raced them!

They pretty much had the same running gear as the Boss 351 as a comparison.

Still kicking myself as I bought a couple of stolen/wrecked XY GTs in the eighties, made one out of two and sold what was mostly Phase 3 running gear cheap!

Here's a link to the sale - https://www.9news.com.au/motoring/2018/06/18/12/32/jeff-thomson-car-sells-1-million-dollars-at-auction-caradvice

Wow that a lot of coin. Never been a big fan of any 4 doors cars. Would look much better as a 2 door. My 2 cents.

John J

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a 2 door version of this style Falcon in the USA but they are just a 2 door sedan not a coupe/fastback so not much better looking

I certainly wouldn't pay big bucks but they are an investment over our way. Have owned and restored a few of these older Falcons including GTs and do like them but prefer the Mustang these days which is still affordable for paupers like me and Yes much better looking!

They were fast for sure.

Speaking of the Falcon in the U.S.. While in Charlotte in April I talked with Lee Holman of Holman & Moody. In 1960 Ford had a choice to build the new Falcon or try to struggle with the Edsel. There was a steel shortage and not enough metal to support both. Edsel numbers that year are single digits for some models and quite rare.

Now the Falcon. Lee said that Ford sent his Dad a truck load of Falcons and told him to see what they could do with the new unitized body car. They did have engine kits for the little 6 cylinder but they chose to take the 6 out and put in the new 221 and 260 V-8. They modified suspension and beefed the car up some. They took them racing in Europe since there was no classes in the U.S. for them to compete in. They did quite well.

This continued right on up and in 1964 Ford asked Holman & Moody to send this new car salesman in California one of their racing Falcons so he could use their development on the new Mustang based on the same unitized body. That car salesman was Carol Shelby. Shelby developed nothing on the Mustang. None of the mechanical and all of the body design was done by Ford.

Ford got so fed up with Shelby they pulled the plug in 1967 and sent Holman & Moody to clean out the facility. Ford owned 100% of Shelby he just had his name on them. How did we get so deceived?

BTW this was all confirmed at the same meeting by Gale Halderman, he did the first sketches for Mustang on his kitchen table and also guys from Ford, SVO and Ford performance.

Lunch is over back to work.

D

Back