Mirror, mirror on the door…..

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grandmas73

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Red conv 302
1961 Studebaker Hawk
Hi all, I need some help deciding if I’m going to change out the mirrors on my 73 vert. I currently have one stock chrome mirror so I bought a pair of Scott Drake mirrors (67-73) reg and convex. I didn’t realize how different they were from stock, not just the hole pattern but the length of the base.
I really want a mirror on the pass side and will probably never concors restore it, do I just bite the bullet and drill the holes? Sorry, I have always suffered from analysis paralysis 😩
If I do install them what hardware have you all had success with?

Thanks for your help 🤙
ddda8a5e-339d-42b5-8f8c-a31327036296-jpeg.70229

Attachments

• DDDA8A5E-339D-42B5-8F8C-A31327036296.jpeg
    DDDA8A5E-339D-42B5-8F8C-A31327036296.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Since they are longer and would cover the rear hole I would say just go ahead and install them. A small hole in the door is usually the least of somebodies problems when doing a restoration. Enjoy the car the way you want it for now. Too many times while working on my car I suffered from the idea of making my repairs last forever. The owners before me didn't care about my restoration headaches and certainly weren't worried about their repairs lasting forever. As far as mounting them, I would think any of the aftermarket mounting kits should work well.

Since they are longer and would cover the rear hole I would say just go ahead and install them. A small hole in the door is usually the least of somebodies problems when doing a restoration. Enjoy the car the way you want it for now. Too many times while working on my car I suffered from the idea of making my repairs last forever. The owners before me didn't care about my restoration headaches and certainly weren't worried about their repairs lasting forever. As far as mounting them, I would think any of the aftermarket mounting kits should work well.
Thank you for that, that’s the common sense answer I needed to get me out of my own way lol.

Welp, I have to say I don’t like the angle the mirrors sit at. My thoughts are to 3D print a base/gasket that fits the contour of the door and changes the angle that the mirror sits at.
Has anyone done this, or know anyone that has? I would be curious what a good angle might be and what type of filament might work best.

Back