Mirror tell me, what do I miss here?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Grande 351C
71 Mach 1 429CJ
Busy placing back my driver door deluxe panel and got stuck on the mirror knob.

It's been a very long while since I've removed it and when it was on, I recall it never stood properly in place.
So looks like I miss some kind of extra large ring/washer (looking at recess on cardboard behind) to screw on first on the thread from behind and then screw the bezel ring on the outside...  The little square mark cut in board also tells me something should be there behind no?
Online, the mirrors I saw for sale, are all having only the bezel that I have. So do I miss something or is it the cables need somehow be kept in place on the door metal?

On mine there is only one clip on upper corner to prevent the cable to be taken down by the glass while lowering the window..

I'm thinking about making a metal bracket behind, but before I do. What do I miss here and how is that knob/bezel supposed to be installed??

mirrorknob.jpg

There is a washer that has a flat in the center hole with a tab to lock in the panel to keep the  knob from spinning.  Sorry don't have a picture.   Go to the following link and you can somewhat see it behind the retaining bezel.  Mine only has one clip for the cable also and it has not posed any problems with the window operating. 

https://www.cjponyparts.com/racing-mirror-driver-side-mustang-after-2-25-1969-1970/p/ME4L/?year=1969&msclkid=9bfa40a8348c1c392e641f2590333861&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=New Bing Shopping Ads&utm_term=1101201852013&utm_content=All Products

Last edited by a moderator:
@Kilgon thanks, I see on one of the picts from CJP the washer! No other pict I've found before showed one (50% of it). I suppose I'll be busy making two then, as I saw my 71 also has none. Which made me think I might have been stupid to not see how to install... 

If anyone has a pict of that washer (the 50% missing), as I suppose it's not flat and may be having the shape of the "L" vs full round in center???

The tab I need to make is obvious, but wondering if a hole wide as the threads is really all I need to sandwich it...

heaven.jpg

@Kilgon  I was in heaven yesterday evening and one of the topic of talks ( read lots and lots and lots of talks) my friend and me had, was about that washer...

mustang2.jpg

Turns out mustang 2's had similar, so my friend took out one from his car parts, and looks like only thing I need to do is flatten it, cut the tab and fold it, then cut it round and I should have the exact part I need as seen on left side of pict. The M2's having the exact same optional mirrors as our babies...

View attachment 45357

@Kilgon  I was in heaven yesterday evening and one of the topic of talks ( read lots and lots and lots of talks) my friend and me had, was about that washer...

View attachment 45358

Turns out mustang 2's had similar, so my friend took out one from his car parts, and looks like only thing I need to do is flatten it, cut the tab and fold it, then cut it round and I should have the exact part I need as seen on left side of pict. The M2's having the exact same optional mirrors as our babies...
You must feel like a kid in a candy store with so many gems in the rough around you.   Looks like that should work just fine.  Good to see old parts getting recycle.  

@Kilgon 

"You must feel like a kid in a candy store with so many gems in the rough around you."

Oh yeah you bet! And the picts above were only from one location...
Anyway thx for the picts you sent, they were really helpful!

When I use to travel to the tool & die shops all over the U.S. I use to go to Indianapolis I think was the location. Anyway one of the unique things was there was an indoor junkyard just down from the shop. It was in an old Studebaker assembly plant, multiple floors. You could pull parts in any weather and kept them all clean and not weeds of mud. 

The dream of our CEO at one company I worked for was to have an indoor junkyard. He traveled to South America to pick up some of Fords he wanted. They still made Model T and Model A parts in S.A. in the 80's. He would bring them back. 

Back