Misc. hose wrapped around shock

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcloutier0722

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible ("preserved" original)
1988 Mustang 5.0L LX Convertible
"Drive 'em, don't hide 'em!"
Does anyone know what this hose goes to? Here's a pic from "original factory build" but since I've changed the shocks and the dual exhaust is now sharing the space. Now it looks ripped from the termination end and I'll investigate further over the weekend but any pointers before I find the "smoking gun" where it's attached.1656466269481.png

It doesn't have any fluid in it and could be a vent tub of some sort ... once I get my head under the car I might have a better vantage point of where it was torn from.

Makes perfect sense... probably got knocked around with the install ... I know exactly where to look now! Thanks!

Yup, axle tube breather

Attachments

• 54ADD65C-AD11-410E-8D4F-11C37AA5AA5F.jpeg
    54ADD65C-AD11-410E-8D4F-11C37AA5AA5F.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
As others noted, it's the axle breather. The end of the hose should be inside the shock mount to prevent water from entering.

View attachment 65089
Yup, and it is a bit dried up too so changing her out is on the to do list. She rides in dry weather so that helps me procrastinate without feeling guilty. 👍🏻

Thanks guys... Yes it broke off at valve itself... The opposite end is through the shock crossmember buried in that hole that is shown... 50 yr old originals have a lot of reference material that can be documented. Verified that everything around the new addition driver's dual pipe clears all the other structural components (brake lines, vent tube, shock). Dave at Precision Auto did a great job with adding a dual system to the 302...

Back