Missing linkage?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1
351C Q car
C6 trans
I recently picked up a 73 Mach 1 like I had when I was younger. It needs some work and has had some performance upgrades done. Some not so well. If I remember correctly from my first Mach 1 there should be a linkage rod going up to the carb from here. It has a Edelbrock 1407 carb on it.

Attachments

• IMG_0984.jpg
    IMG_0984.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
If I remember correctly, that should be connected to the linkage to the steering column that is used to lock the steering wheel. I’m not at my service manual, soni can’t say for certain. Take a pic of the steering column in the engine compartment so we can see what’s up.

Automatics had a transmission kick down rod connected to the carb linkage and transmission linkage. It would kick the trans down a gear when accelerating hard.

That entire shift linkage setup is incorrect for a 71-73. Given the mess that Edelbrock creates for their Ford kickdown setup, I recommend the simpler route and use a Lokar kickdown cable, which will work with just about any setup.

I recently picked up a 73 Mach 1 like I had when I was younger. It needs some work and has had some performance upgrades done. Some not so well. If I remember correctly from my first Mach 1 there should be a linkage rod going up to the carb from here. It has a Edelbrock 1407 carb on itThe

I recently picked up a 73 Mach 1 like I had when I was younger. It needs some work and has had some performance upgrades done. Some not so well. If I remember correctly from my first Mach 1 there should be a linkage rod going up to the carb from here. It has a Edelbrock 1407 carb on it.
The shifter linkage itself will mount behind that neutral safety contraption. There's one bar that goes from a short arm to your column for a column lock. The one that I'm missing here is the outer one which consists of a short 3-4" pc that connects to the long kickdown bar that attaches to the carb. There's no reason to attach the kickdown unless you have this extra piece of linkage on your existing carburetor. I personally have to remove it from this extra throttle plate to get a functional kickdown.

Attachments

• IMG_4305.JPG
    IMG_4305.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4304.JPG
    IMG_4304.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4297.JPG
    IMG_4297.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9025.JPG
    IMG_9025.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 0
The shifter linkage itself will mount behind that neutral safety contraption. There's one bar that goes from a short arm to your column for a column lock. The one that I'm missing here is the outer one which consists of a short 3-4" pc that connects to the long kickdown bar that attaches to the carb. There's no reason to attach the kickdown unless you have this extra piece of linkage on your existing carburetor. I personally have to remove it from this extra throttle plate to get a functional kickdown.
Thanks for the pics. I have added a few more. I see where the column lock would connect. Not following when you say you have to remove to get a functional kickdown. Does anyone have a photo of a complete setup?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0949.jpg
    IMG_0949.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0935.jpg
    IMG_0935.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0849.jpg
    IMG_0849.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0993.jpg
    IMG_0993.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Big +1 for the lokar kickdown cable. I've had it on my car for 20 years and it hasn't ever given me any trouble. The section of the linkage thats still attached to your steering column, I took a piece of coat hanger and secured mine all the way to one direction so the steering wheel doesnt lock. It would ruin your whole month if you left that flopping around and it locked your steering wheel while you were driving.

Here’s a pic of a kick down rod on my 72 Cleveland w/C6 trans. I do have Quick Fuel carb and they are like the Hollys as far as the easy connection.

Attachments

• 49CF28D1-E77B-4F24-936C-1A48CD393CDD.jpeg
    49CF28D1-E77B-4F24-936C-1A48CD393CDD.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 823C1C44-EF9C-428D-952E-5B8268A04DB7.jpeg
    823C1C44-EF9C-428D-952E-5B8268A04DB7.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Big +1 for the lokar kickdown cable. I've had it on my car for 20 years and it hasn't ever given me any trouble. The section of the linkage thats still attached to your steering column, I took a piece of coat hanger and secured mine all the way to one direction so the steering wheel doesnt lock. It would ruin your whole month if you left that flopping around and it locked your steering wheel while you were driving.
I was thinking about that after it was pointed out.

As I've dug into this, from what I'm seeing that is for the steering wheel to lock the shifter. The steering wheel is locked by the key.

As I've dug into this, from what I'm seeing that is for the steering wheel to lock the shifter. The steering wheel is locked by the key.
I do know something somewhere didn't work right if that part on the steering column is left to flop around. I don't remember exactly what it was, but my car came without a transmission or that linkage. Something along the way prompted me to have to tie it into place.

It may have been something like i couldnt turn the steering wheel or I couldn't take the key out of the ignition when that linkage made its way to the wrong position.

Back