Mixmatching components: 351W timing cover

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotoArts

Reaction score
My Car
'71 Sportsroof
'90 Mustang 7-Up 5.0 ragtop (sold after 20 years)
'66 Sunbeam Tiger Mk.IA
A little unexpected bump in the project road...

I have a late model (1997) 5.8 bottom end from a truck. Engine, of course, came with fuel injection and serpentine belt system. Looking to retrofit it into my '71 with carburetion.

I am going to use the serp belt in order to modernize the steering pump and AC compressor. I was lucky enough to find a parts truck that had an air pump delete pulley on it, so I won't even have to mess with a custom belt length. However, I would like to use a stock style mechanical fuel pump with the reverse rotation water pump.

I have the pump, the original reverse H2O pump and EFI timing cover (with filled fuel pump and dipstick bosses), and several nice old style timing covers with open dipstick tube and fuel pump bosses (old carbureted applications).

Does the timing cover exist for the combo I'm after? Can water pumps and/or backing plates be swapped around to work? Will I have to open the bosses and tap bolt holes in the EFI cover, or will an electric fuel pump be the short road home?

That's it, thank you Don!

Edit:

Looks like the application is from '83-85 Mustang 5.0 HO (carbureted). And, seems there was a central fuel injected, non-HO version for the Fox cars in that timeframe also that didn't require the mechanical pump. That is what the boss for the crank sensor is for.

Engineering # E3AE-6059 AB

Learn something new every day I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back