Modern {read comfortable} seats

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Animal Lawyer

Reaction score
I have original Mark one seats, I replaced the foam and they’re still far from comfortable (does Flintstones car ring a bell?).Driver’s base is splitting on seam where bolster meets seat, will try to have repaired, otherwise hoping to find decent original white seat base/cover. I swear at the rate I’m going I’ll soon have almost a complete original mustang in the parts I’ve removed and saved (just in case anyone wants to ever restore this to original)

I’ve looked for the BMW Vader seats, the prices are insane especially when you’re wearing new foam and new seat covers. Similarly the e21 recross.I found a decent set of Fiero seats unfortunately they’re in California for local pick up only has anyone tried the Miata seats or is there another suggestion for a really comfortable adjustable seat that can be adapted to our cars relatively easily?

Do any of the modern (2010 to present) Mustang seats work? Newer I stand a better chance of not having to reform and recover(though my interior is white, I switched to black door panels and could use black leather seats. I haven’t been thrilled with any of the aftermarket seats I’ve looked at.

Open to other suggestions, as always thanks for the input.

Attachments

• G seats.jpg
    G seats.jpg
    388 KB · Views: 10
I was less than impressed with the factory Deluxe seats that came in mine as well, so I went with some TMI Products Sport Seats from CJ Pony Parts - they have other colors than black, as well as I'm sure you could contact TMI Products directly and get a custom color package. Basically, you'd need new foam and upholstery, replace onto your existing seat frames, and they're WAY more comfy than the standard replacement foam & upholstery. I did mine myself, but would recommend having an upholstery shop do it for you if you're not up to the task - it was a solid 3 days of frustration, but they came out fine eventually. Here are my pics:

Here's the original seat - I had a spare pair from a donor car, so I used those frames instead: Notice how flat the side bolsters are:
seats1.jpg

The side bolsters are much thicker (and much harder to get the covers on as a result - I worked on 'em some more and eventually got most of the wrinkles out, but they've also relaxes a bit more over the years:
seats3.jpg

They blended right back into the factory style interior perfectly.
Frankcarshow4.jpg

They also have some more aggressively styles seats that have the Deluxe seat patterns: Sport II, Sport R, Sport XR, as well as Distinctive Industries has some direct bolt-in seats, but they're not quite as close to the factory style.

Hope this helps.

The problem using the original frames is Ford designed them too upright. There was a marketing reason like rear room dimensions or something. They need to lean back at least a notch. If I do another restoration, I'm looking onto modifying the frame and extra padding, but still have to look original to me , no Mark one seats for me what ever those are. 69/70 Mach 1 seats were pretty good though, but still not good enough if going non stock.

Last edited:
I prefer the lap of young ladies for the most comfortable seat of all. Unfortunately, most are not equipped with seat belts.
Aren’t you able to have them “grandfathered” in? 😂

The problem using the original frames is Ford designed them too upright. There was a marketing reason like rear room dimensions or something. They need to lean back at least a notch. If I do another restoration, I'm looking onto modifying the frame and extra padding, but still have to look original to me , no Mark one seats for me what ever those are. 69/70 Mach 1 seats were pretty good though, but still not good enough if going non stock.
I just omitted the 'bumpers' between the upper and lower seat parts, and they lean back just enough for my 6'5" height to clear the headliner.

When installing the extenders Was there any issue hitting the safety belt spindle located on the floor just behind the seat?

I actually moved my seat platforms rearward a few inches (had I known about the slider extenders, I would've gone that route instead), but the seat belt retractors don't interfere with the my seats all the way back (not sure how far the extenders reach, though).

Last edited:
I just omitted the 'bumpers' between the upper and lower seat parts, and they lean back just enough for my 6'5" height to clear the headliner.
You can also add some shims instead of the bumpers to control the "reclining" angle.

You can also add some shims instead of the bumpers to control the "reclining" angle.
Great Idea but, am now wondering if I will need cameras as I barely see out the front and rear windows. I might need spacers to raise the seat also. Head room has never been my problem though.

Heck, I figured that out in 1976 on my 73 Sportsroof! I took just the seat back ones out, that was the perfect angle for a 19 year old. LOL

I had a 71 sportsroof that had coupe seat pans installed, and being 6'3" tall, my head was smashed into the headliner. I used some early 90's Accord seats that were black and grey, very comfortable and gave me the headroom i needed.

Since you have a convertible, headroom is less of an issue, so the modern Mustang seats might work, even though they are thicker in the base. If you use the car-part.com website, you might be able to locate some locally to you.

Back