Monte Carlo bar fitment issues

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Coupe. Lived, died, then lived again.
Hi everyone, here goes my first tech thread! :cool: I have a 71 coupe and I want to do some suspension upgrades. I have stiff coils up front, but nothing else, so the first order of the day was to get a monte carlo bar to stiffen up the front of the chassis. 30 bucks later, I have a nice shiny black bar taking up space in my living room. Thing is, as I went to drop it in, the bolt holes align perfectly, but the bar isn't long enough. There's about an inch of gap between the end of the bar and the other side of the engine bay. I've heard of the bars not fitting because the shock towers are too close together (requiring lifting the car to "relax" them), but having an inch of EXTRA space?!?! I started thinking maybe my chassis was bent or something. But to throw me off even more, the bar doesn't even clear the distributor. And it's a stock distributor. What gives? This bar was in NPD specifically for 71-73 Mustangs, yet it doesn't even get close to fitting. Has anyone had this issue before? And does anyone know the distance from shock tower to shock tower? I need to measure, maybe my chassis is twisted, although that still doesn't clarify the distributor issue. :-/ I'm one seriously confused guy right now.

The only quick check measurement to be made with the engine installed that I know of is 28.44 inches center to center of the bolts that attach the front sway bar to the frame. I know you are interested in the top but it may give you a place to start. If it is closed up at the bottom it may mean it is out at the top. Chuck

Really your talking a 1/2" on each side since you need to split the inch by 2..

Have you had the car aligned ? if so what are the camber readings ? both within spec..A car with one tower out or both out may show in the camber readings

Interesting. I would suggest you measure the bar and post up the measurement. Maybe it is the wrong bar?
Yeah, didn't provide that bit of info. I'll measure the bar tomorrow morning.

The only quick check measurement to be made with the engine installed that I know of is 28.44 inches center to center of the bolts that attach the front sway bar to the frame. I know you are interested in the top but it may give you a place to start. If it is closed up at the bottom it may mean it is out at the top. Chuck
Thanks! That's a good reference point. At least I know if i don't get that measurement I should really begin to worry :s

Really your talking a 1/2" on each side since you need to split the inch by 2..

Have you had the car aligned ? if so what are the camber readings ? both within spec..A car with one tower out or both out may show in the camber readings
The car was aligned about 3 years ago, but has seen very little road use since then. Still, it drives straight as an arrow and tire wear is very even. Here's the alignment sheet:

wl9a43.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a similar situation except mine is 1/2 inch out so I fabricated aluminum 1/4 plates on each side, that fixed that problem. Now for the dist. problem I have an aftermarket ignition with 8mm wires and when I went to lay the bar in place the bar just hit the wires compressing them so I added 3/8 washers on each hole shimming it up slightly. Looks good and it didnt seem worth it to brow beat my vendor so I just fixed it myself hope this helps.

I had a similar situation except mine is 1/2 inch out so I fabricated aluminum 1/4 plates on each side, that fixed that problem. Now for the dist. problem I have an aftermarket ignition with 8mm wires and when I went to lay the bar in place the bar just hit the wires compressing them so I added 3/8 washers on each hole shimming it up slightly. Looks good and it didnt seem worth it to brow beat my vendor so I just fixed it myself hope this helps.
Thanks for the advice! Yeah, I'm considering doing something along those lines, but my curiosity is getting the best of me. I just don't understand how a piece designed specifically for my car doesn't fit in length OR clears a factory distributor. It just makes me wonder how straight my chassis is. Regardless, I'm not planning on returning the bar. I'll make it work. But I definitely need to figure out what the f*#k is going on with this car.

I have one that is the same way. Would not fit a 71 or 73 fastback. and was short by over an inch. and my car is aligned just fine with no sign of the front end being out of whack.

It also won't clear a 351's distributor OR a 302's

I altered a modern GT 500 bar that was a take off to clear my distributor and it fit great. . . but won't clear my ram air plenum. Without it in place it fit fine.

I'm working on something, so hopefully I'll have an answer for an effective inexpensive monte carlo bar fairly soon

I have one that is the same way. Would not fit a 71 or 73 fastback. and was short by over an inch. and my car is aligned just fine with no sign of the front end being out of whack.

It also won't clear a 351's distributor OR a 302's

I altered a modern GT 500 bar that was a take off to clear my distributor and it fit great. . . but won't clear my ram air plenum. Without it in place it fit fine.

I'm working on something, so hopefully I'll have an answer for an effective inexpensive monte carlo bar fairly soon

Perfect! Glad to see I'm not alone. The rep at NPD told me nobody's complained or returned their bars, so I was starting to get worried it was my car, not the product. I guess maybe in my case it CAN be an issue with the bar itself. If you get your monte carlo bar setup to work, let me know. I'm definitely interested in seeing this invention of yours :D I was considering cutting the brackets off mine and welding them to a slightly longer and beefier bar.

The bar I have is curved, and it would bolt on a non ramair car just fine. Just needs to little gussets welded in and the clean up the welds and and repaint it.

This is a similar one, though I paid less than half their asking price-shipped

http://www.ebay.com/itm/07-09-Ford-Mustang-Shelby-GT500-Shock-Strut-Tower-Brace-Bar-JLT-Spacers-/110900182972?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D918741809179442255%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D1%26

The bar I have is curved, and it would bolt on a non ramair car just fine. Just needs to little gussets welded in and the clean up the welds and and repaint it.

This is a similar one, though I paid less than half their asking price-shipped

http://www.ebay.com/itm/07-09-Ford-Mustang-Shelby-GT500-Shock-Strut-Tower-Brace-Bar-JLT-Spacers-/110900182972?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D918741809179442255%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D1%26
I see... that would definitely work. Never really noticed what the GT500 bars looked like, but that looks like a definite option, and it's not too expensive, either. If I can't get one of my buddies to weld one up for free, I'll just try this trick. Thanks a bunch!

Interesting. I would suggest you measure the bar and post up the measurement. Maybe it is the wrong bar?
So today I measured the bar, and it's 46" from head to toe. Can anyone confirm this length?

Ok,

I just got back from the www.saturdaymorninggarage.com

I took 2 measurements for you

First I measured from the front shock tower cap bolt (exact center of bolt to exact center of bolt) 38- 3/4" with the engine installed your going to need to make a tram bar like I have so you can clear the engine http://books.google.com/books?id=qvph5aFkrJgC&pg=PA409&lpg=PA409&dq=how+to+make+a+automotive+tram+bar&source=bl&ots=Qu9tqFu5yI&sig=An52HXwBQ-jqsTHBPPtAc2-3p98&hl=en&sa=X&ei=R2cUUJ6VC8fKrAey7YGwBA&ved=0CEwQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=how%20to%20make%20a%20automotive%20tram%20bar&f=false

I then took a measurement right in front of the shock tower from apron to apron 46-1/4"

Something is going on with your aprons towers if they are off 1/2" on each side..Could be your towers so you need to check them first if not then it's possible maybe someone replaced the aprons or one & didn't install it correctly..Hope these measurements help.

Mine´s too short too. The Monte Carlo bar that is, mind you! :)

I did not measure how much it is but I remember that there was a gap. My main problem though is that it does not clear the distributor, so I cannot even put it in place. Now the bar takes up room in my garage in corner.

Ok,

I just got back from the www.saturdaymorninggarage.com

I took 2 measurements for you

First I measured from the front shock tower cap bolt (exact center of bolt to exact center of bolt) 38- 3/4" with the engine installed your going to need to make a tram bar like I have so you can clear the engine http://books.google.com/books?id=qvph5aFkrJgC&pg=PA409&lpg=PA409&dq=how+to+make+a+automotive+tram+bar&source=bl&ots=Qu9tqFu5yI&sig=An52HXwBQ-jqsTHBPPtAc2-3p98&hl=en&sa=X&ei=R2cUUJ6VC8fKrAey7YGwBA&ved=0CEwQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=how%20to%20make%20a%20automotive%20tram%20bar&f=false

I then took a measurement right in front of the shock tower from apron to apron 46-1/4"

Something is going on with your aprons towers if they are off 1/2" on each side..Could be your towers so you need to check them first if not then it's possible maybe someone replaced the aprons or one & didn't install it correctly..Hope these measurements help.
I'm gonna jot these down and measure my car next weekend. I'll be crossing my fingers my measurements come up the same. Thanks for the measurement! Greatly appreciated.

Mine´s too short too. The Monte Carlo bar that is, mind you! :)

I did not measure how much it is but I remember that there was a gap. My main problem though is that it does not clear the distributor, so I cannot even put it in place. Now the bar takes up room in my garage in corner.
Same problem as I have, huh? So I'm coming to the realization that I'm not the only one out there with this fitment issue. I guess it's just that nobody returns the bars since they're so damn cheap lol. My car's chassis doesn't have any signs of being in an accident, so if it isn't straight I'm clueless as to how it happened. Guess they probably just sold us the wrong size bar :/

that70machine, had the same very problem about two weeks ago. Just like Luxstang mine is setting in the corner gathering dust. Your definitely not alone in this.

Me too! I just posted a question about a custom Monte Carlo bar. I bought the strait one which has problems with clearing the A/C compressor, even though it is the new Sanden style. I have a mechanical engineer working on mine to make a custom design and was considering something like the new Mustang GT's. It appears that it bowes up and over the intake and uses a hollow oval style tube, but I believe that the air cleaner on mine will be an issue.

Keep us informed and I will do the same if we come up with practical design first. :)

I just replaced the front coil springs in my '73 convertible and tried to add the monte carlo bar from NPD as well but I'm having the same issue of hitting the compressor and distributor.

Are there any updates to this post?

It's like walking out before the end of a murder/mystery movie...

Sigh. I bought one of the straight bars from NPD some years ago. It wouldn't clear the 351C distributor cap. I planned on getting a low profile cap for the Accel DP unit but I've never seen one advertised that fits. So my bar stands in the corner of the garage too. Not a chance of fitting with the 429 now as the engine is much taller.

Back