Moose has AC issues

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MooseStang

Reaction score
My Car
72 Q-code Vert
72 L-code Vert
When I got the car a couple months ago, compressor would engage but no cold air and only from defroster.  I found the disconnected vacuum hose and that restored the air to dash and floor. 

I briefly cracked open the low pressure valve to verify pressure.  So today I hook up and add r12.  System still not cold, and now compressor is making bad noises. 

View attachment 20210807_165057_1_1_1_1_1_1.mp4

20210807_201558.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The compressor has bad internal noise. You need to check that it has the right oil (R12 uses mineral oil like 5GS) and the right quantity of oil and that the hoses are on the correct ports (D-discharge port and hose going to the top of the condenser in front of the radiator and the the larger suction line hose is connected to the S-suction port). If the system is working the larger suction line fitting will be cold to touch and the TX valve by the firewall will be cold.

Genuine R12 (Dichlorodifluoromethane) production ceased in the mid 1990's due to its ozone depleting properties, so you could be using old refrigerant which if not stored correctly might have deteriorated to a point where it is not operating properly.

Ports appear to be correct.  I did not know R12 can go bad.  The can has a 1993 copyright, not sure about manufacture date.

Thanks for the info.  Gonna have to rethink this. 

20210805_135842.jpg

Back