Most authentic Ford Blue for a 1973 engine

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all. I am working on an original "shed find" all original 07,912 mile '73 convertible. My goal is to clean the car up and get it running and driving well. I had to pull the heads and rebuild them because the valves were frozen as the car had not been run in 45 years. The inside of the motor is in great shape. My question is, "what is the most accurate formulation of Ford Blue paint for a 73?" There are dozens of paints out there, but only a few are readily available at Autozone or O'Reillys. I'm leaning toward "Duplicolor Old Ford Blue." I think this car deserves the most attention to original details I can give it. Thanks! Kevin.View attachment 75093View attachment 75094View attachment 75095View attachment 75096View attachment 75097View attachment 75098

Hi all. I am working on an original "shed find" all original 07,912 mile '73 convertible. My goal is to clean the car up and get it running and driving well. I had to pull the heads and rebuild them because the valves were frozen as the car had not been run in 45 years. The inside of the motor is in great shape. My question is, "what is the most accurate formulation of Ford Blue paint for a 73?" There are dozens of paints out there, but only a few are readily available at Autozone or O'Reillys. I'm leaning toward "Duplicolor Old Ford Blue." I think this car deserves the most attention to original details I can give it. Thanks! Kevin.View attachment 75093View attachment 75094View attachment 75095View attachment 75096View attachment 75097View attachment 75098
I used Duplicolor Old Ford Blue, I like the look.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    999.9 KB · Views: 0
I used Duplicolor Old Ford Blue, I like the look.
Funny you should say that, DSwan. I did some research and Old Ford Blue is the Best Match to the blue on my car! Check out the photos. I took a spot under the air cleaner and put a dab of Ford Dark Blue and Ford Old Blue. Then I realized I didn't clean the old surface, so I just sprayed a little WD40 on it to bring out the gloss, and I was amazed at the results. The Dark Blue was way way way too dark! The Old Ford Blue can barely be seen to stand out in the last photo. I painted the oil pan, heads, and intake, and I'm very happy with the results! I'm leaving the valve covers and air cleaner for later because they have factory markings I want to preserve. IMG-5463.jpgIMG-5468.jpgand I'm very happy with the results! I'm leaving the valve covers and air cleaner for later because they have factory markings I want to preserve.

Last edited:
Back