• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Motorcraft 4300D

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Ford Mustang Q-code convertible
Hi Guys,

I have a 1973 351C 4V Q-code (convertible) with an automatic transmission. I've bought the car in November 2016 and learning more and more about the car and (unfortunately) found out that I have a Carter carburetor. After searching the internet , I understand that the correct carburator is a motorcraft 4300D!

I would like to restore my car as original as possible so I am hoping that somebody on the forum has one of these carburetors for sale.

I am looking for the following : D3ZF-MA  Motorcraft 4300D

Any suggestions are welcome if you have more info!

Thanks,

Jeroen

Thanks! I did see the really expensive one already. It does have a $200 core deposit in the price.... . Didn't see the other 2 yet. Guess I am looking in the wrong section on ebay .

Depends how original you are looking to return the car back to factory condition. Good luck.

Last edited:
JD,

Might I recommend that if you want to be as original as possible, I suggest that you buy the best 4300D you can afford to spend and then put it on a shelf or in the trunk !!!   

The 4300D is not a very reliable or tunable carb except by a few exceptionally gifted tuners. If your car runs well now, don't mess with it, IMO.....

Thanks Jay

JD,

Might I recommend that if you want to be as original as possible, I suggest that you buy the best 4300D you can afford to spend and then put it on a shelf or in the trunk !!!   

The 4300D is not a very reliable or tunable carb except by a few exceptionally gifted tuners. If your car runs well now, don't mess with it, IMO.....

Thanks Jay
Hi Jay,

I like challenges ;-)  Do you know an exceptionally gifted carburetor restorer that can tune it properly as well? Any help is much appreciated!

My car will be completely stock so hopefully no reliability issues after a complete restoration.....

Thanks,

Jeroen

Jeroen,

Here is what I would do...I have used these guys on two 4300's and have had no issues. They live engine test them and set them all up. They may have a core in stock you can use for $75 or you can send in your own to have rebuilt. The cost is $169 for 90 days warranty or $199 lifetime warranty. Below is a link to them and a pic of what they look like when done. Make sure to ask for dichromate finish as original for no extra charge.

Jeff

http://nationalcarburetors.com/

I would do this one if I were you.  I am going with a Holley on mine when I can find a nice 750 DP.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,1971,mustang,5.8l+351cid+v8,1132692,fuel+&+air,carburetor,5904

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1126297&cc=1132692&jsn=10618&jsn=10618

Buy today as I am sure they will sell out now that I posted here.

kcmash
 Hi kcmash,

Thanks for your response. I had a look and the price is really good but this carburetor is only for the 1972 year. I don't know why... I had another look on ebay and found one that states the same for this carb.

I wonder what is different with 1973 then?

Jeroen,

Here is what I would do...I have used these guys on two 4300's and have had no issues. They live engine test them and set them all up. They may have a core in stock you can use for $75 or you can send in your own to have rebuilt. The cost is $169 for 90 days warranty or $199 lifetime warranty. Below is a link to them and a pic of what they look like when done. Make sure to ask for dichromate finish as original for no extra charge.

Jeff

http://nationalcarburetors.com/

Hi Jeff ,

That is a nice photo! Looks really good! I just had a look on their website. They offer a really good price for the rebuild at the moment! I like it that they live engine test it after the rebuild. Thanks for the link!

Jeroen

Buy a good used one and rebuild it yourself.. You get originality and experience at the same time.. The web has quite a bit of information on how to rebuild carburetors and the kits are about $25 - $45..  Think of all the fun you'll have.. :)

The two biggest differences to look for are manual versus automatic transmission linkages (a manual trans carb might not have the kickdown linkage you will need) and the other is spreadbore versus squarebore. Squarebore carb flanges have four equal size venture holes on the base of the car and the manifold. Spreadbores have two small and two large.

Hi ..I have a 4300D with that exact tag code !!   D3ZF-MA  I personally removed it from a 1973 Q code motor that I bought ...it will need a rebuild..it has been sitting for about 15years..send me a private email...Jeff

Back