Motorcraft FL 1A oil filter cut apart

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Goodson is a professional engine builder's supply shop, which is why I suggest the Amazon $20 range tool for us home hackers.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B6DSTTWV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Perhaps I missed it, but I didn't see any cutters for less than 63 bucks and that was for one that is listed there between $63 and $115.
can you pin-point the one you refer to?
OK, I see the problem, it now jumps me to the Canadian site. There is a Geeyae shown, but unavailable and no price.

Stanglover, I ordered a Geeyae cutter today from Amazon for $26 USD. It may be time for a VPN. I'm considering one myself for various reasons. Chuck

Stanglover, I ordered a Geeyae cutter today from Amazon for $26 USD. It may be time for a VPN. I'm considering one myself for various reasons. Chuck
Not to hijack the thread, but if you have fair cellular data service you can just use a dedicated hotspot. Mine shows me at least 5 hours away from my actual location without doing anything extra.

I use my aviation cutter made by Air Wolf. I cut open all of my filters during each oil change. It’s probably 25 years old and still does a good job. The aviation filters are much heavier built so if you spend the bucks it will be the last you ever purchase. Not sure what they cost now days. But I paid $5.47 for 100LL av gas yesterday…thanks to Brandon!

Yes, I do have a VPN, but with the US exchange right now, I don't need one that much. Amazon.ca does show it, but "currently unavailable". I'll check later. Thanks.

Not to hijack the thread, but if you have fair cellular data service you can just use a dedicated hotspot. Mine shows me at least 5 hours away from my actual location without doing anything extra.
Thanks, but that won't work for me here. Any time I look on Amazon.com, it automatically jumps to .ca. If there was something I really really needed, I could try going through my VPN, other than that, I'm not too worried.
No worries on hijacking my thread, all good info.

I bought this setup and, unless I'm doing something wrong, it does not work! The huge expensive Allen wrench, which I can't use for anything else, enters from the wrong side of the adapter, and the filter starts over the threads of the adapter then locks up and the filter will not advance! Now I have 3 separate things I need to return. I'm thinking the adapter should be screwed into the engine block then the filter would go over it. Maybe the adapter should be screwed into the filter first then the assembly should be screwed into the block, but I don't think that is the case. There seems to be a problem with the threads on the adapter or the threads in the filter, as the filter will only go two or three threads then it locks up. I don't want to force it. if I used the Allen wrench to force the adapter into the filter, I don't know what I would use to keep the filter from turning without galling the outside of the filter. To be clear, the Allen wrench will not work on both sides of the adapter. It will only fit on the side of the adapter with the small coarse threads. I tried to send an email to tmeyer, which is the ONLY contact they provided, and it came back as undeliverable because the mailbox was full!! And another thing. It would seem I need to remove the fitting coming out of the block that the filter screws onto, but I don't think that is possible. I'm going to look to see if there is a youtube video of how to make this conversion work. Any advice from the forum?
IMG-5074.jpgIMG-5073.jpgIMG-5072.jpgIMG-5075(1).jpgIMG-5076(1).jpg

Last edited:
I bought this setup and, unless I'm doing something wrong, it does not work! The huge expensive Allen wrench, which I can't use for anything else, enters from the wrong side of the adapter, and the filter starts over the threads of the adapter then locks up and the filter will not advance! Now I have 3 separate things I need to return. I'm thinking the adapter should be screwed into the engine block then the filter would go over it. Maybe the adapter should be screwed into the filter first then the assembly should be screwed into the block, but I don't think that is the case. There seems to be a problem with the threads on the adapter or the threads in the filter, as the filter will only go two or three threads then it locks up. I don't want to force it. if I used the Allen wrench to force the adapter into the filter, I don't know what I would use to keep the filter from turning without galling the outside of the filter. To be clear, the Allen wrench will not work on both sides of the adapter. It will only fit on the side of the adapter with the small coarse threads. I tried to send an email to tmeyer, which is the ONLY contact they provided, and it came back as undeliverable because the mailbox was full!! And another thing. It would seem I need to remove the fitting coming out of the block that the filter screws onto? How do I do that?! I'm going to look to see if there is a youtube video of how to make this conversion work. Any advice from the forum?
View attachment 74109View attachment 74110View attachment 74111View attachment 74116View attachment 74117
I could be very wrong, but just looking at the pic of the adaptor, the pitch looks like it might be metric. Having not seen this set-up, I can't be sure, If it is jamming up after 1 or 2 threads, it spells metric to me. Do you have a metric thread pitch gauge?

I could be very wrong, but just looking at the pic of the adaptor, the pitch looks like it might be metric. Having not seen this set-up, I can't be sure, If it is jamming up after 1 or 2 threads, it spells metric to me. Do you have a metric thread pitch gauge?
No Geoff, I don't have one of those, but I worked on it a little more and it threads into the filter, just really tight, not like the easy way our filters spin onto the male fittings on our engine blocks. I can't find a video showing how to do this swap, but so far it doesn't seem to be worth the time or money.

No Geoff, I don't have one of those, but I worked on it a little more and it threads into the filter, just really tight, not like the easy way our filters spin onto the male fittings on our engine blocks. I can't find a video showing how to do this swap, but so far it doesn't seem to be worth the time or money.
Threads shouldn't be that tight unless it was not machined correctly meaning it is oversized.
Personally, I'll continue to use an FL1A or I may switch to a known higher grade filter, but when I only drive a max of about 1000 miles a year and the FL1A I cut apart showed no sign of contamination, I'm not too worried. I only drove 347 mile last year, so I may not even bother to change oil this year. However, it may be a good idea to pull the FL1A and check the oil in the filter for particles, then decide.

Going back to the original post, I came across a link to the info I talked about.
I don't remember if I did post this link, but try this. That was from 2020, but references 2008, so old info for the most part.
I know we've been all over the map with this, but may be of interest. If the link does not work, maybe try to Google it, or forget it.
EDIT: Try this, http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/

Last edited:
Back