Mouse proof your garage

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the electronic repellents and I keep corn for deer in garage and no mice yet. Garage is 4,000 sq. ft. and I have doors open a lot so they can just run in behind my back, lol.

There is a quite effective mouse / rat trap that is free. If you go to youtube and search for mouse trap or coke bottle mouse trap there is video showing. You need a large bucket maybe 5 gallon, steel rod or tube, old plastic coke bottle and peanut butter. The rod is inserted through the cap on the coke bottle then the bottom of the bottle and the rod inserted in hole in the bucket. It needs to be able to turn free. Peanut butter on the bottle a ramp for the mice to go up. When they go out on the rod and bottle to get the peanut butter it turns and they fall into the bucket. Can put water in the bucket so they drown and can catch a bunch in one night, no reset.

If I do use a regular mouse trap I tie a rubber band on the trigger and put the peanut butter on it. They pull on the rubber band and WHAP.

I had more trouble with ground hogs had to take out 7 this year. I caught a couple by hand when they were small. Just grabbed them like you would a rabbit on back of neck. They go crazy. Will go see if I can get the link to the video showing the coke bottle trap.

Try this link.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=yfp-t&p=coke+bottle+mouse+trap#id=2&vid=9c6b28ef0c6121ccbb8696b50f642b86&action=click
Which electronic device are you using? There are many out there and I'd like to compare what I found to what you've had success with.
I just go to the Lowe's Home Improvement and go to the shelf with mouse traps and they come three to a card about $19.00 for three i think. Saw some on the internet but they were expensive. The Lowe's ones also have a night light in them.

I also live in the country and besides our house we have a camper at a seasonal site. Over my many years of dealing with the vermin issue, I've used sticky traps (don't like because they don't kill the mice immediately and they drag the traps around), snap traps with peanut butter, mouse hotels that let them in but not out (don't like for the same reason as the sticky traps), and my favorite - a 5-gallon pail with a rod thru the top lip supporting a plastic jar smeared with peanut butter and a ramp to get up to it. I put an anti-freeze/water solution in the pail so the dead critters don't stink so bad if I don't get to them. Very effective and it keeps killing mice without having to reset it like most traps. I still use snap traps with peanut butter as they are also quite effective. Also agree with an earlier poster - don't leave your doors open! Last fall I had a gopher find it's way in and it took several days before he decided to leave one day when I coaxed him out with a trail of peanuts and an open door.

Mouse trap.jpg

Knock on wood I still do not have mice in the garage. I eliminated the ground hogs but the raccoons devastated my sweet corn last year so got to eliminate them. The other pest critter I am having huge issue with is the Voles. They are similar to a mole but must multiply like rabbits. My yard is torn up everywhere. My pup digs them up and they are twice the size of a mole. What is bad is when I plant in the garden they go right down the row and eat the seeds. I did try poison in the garden but afraid to in the yard where the pup plays. Literally you cannot put your foot down and not step on a vole hill. This is over an acre of land not just a small area. There must be hundreds of them. I was wondering if you could electrocute them some way. Maybe put rods in the ground and hook up the generator and zap them, lol. I know some that do that to get the night crawlers to come out of the ground. Any suggestions?
The red tailed hawks have kept the squirrel population down. We use to have lots of white ones but they are easy for the hawks to pick up on. I had to put a 5' chain link fence around the garden to keep the deer out. But that does not keep the raccoons out.
I was going to plant onions yesterday but too wet never quits raining here it seems. Pic I made the other day spring flowers are blooming in Feb.

20210226_152151.jpg

You can use the electronic deterrent that runs on batteries.  That one you poke into the ground and it sends off the electronic signal through the ground. They cant stand the ultra sonic sound, they work just like the home plug in units.

Moles are hard to catch because they eat earthworms. The bait for them looks like a worm :)

Voles also can be baited with strychnine laced oats. You can find that in your local farm stores. Also a applicator that pokes a hole in there tunnel and then dispenses the grain underground for them to eat. That method is also used for gophers.  

We adopted a 1 year old pit bull in February of last year, just before COVID hit.  She is the sweetest dog you will ever meet.  Well, unless you are a rabbit, groundhog, chipmunk, squirrel, mouse, etc.  That freaking dog is a professional vermin terminator.

We actually had a few groundhogs lurking around, and it was basically impossible to get rid of them.  They would also murder my neighbors garden.  Yeah, the dog took care of that problem.  At any rate, we certainly didn't adopt the dog to cut down on the vermin population.  But she has literally wiped them all out.  Well, except the rabbits.  Those freaking things just keep multiplying.  My dog kills at least one per week in our backyard.

Back