Moving to NC from MI car shipping cost

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 red convertible 351 4 V
I am planning on moving to Charlotte area soon. Any recommendation on car shipping company's. Also what it going to cost me to ship my mustang from Farmington Hills MI to Charlotte area NC

John J

Lots of variables there. Does the car run and drive? It costs more if the car has to be dragged/pushed/carried onto a trailer and will definitely limit the companies who will want to deal with it. Do you want open or enclosed transport? Open is less expensive. Are you on a specific schedule? If you need to have the car picked up on a certain date and delivered on a certain date, you will pay more. Don't forget to consult your insurance carrier and the trucking company to understand who is covering what should anything go sideways. Better to know up front than try to sort it out later.

That said, I have used Reliable in the past. No idea what it actually cost to move a car from Boston to Minnesota as the cost was rolled up into a contract with a transport broker to move the car from Germany to my house, including all of the import/export paperwork. They had to move a million dollar plus Duesenburg J roadster off the trailer to get to my car, so they know what they are doing. Kinda weird having a car worth more than your house, shop, lot and contents sitting on your (gravel) driveway.

Another option is to check out a site called UShip. This site matches truckers with people who need to have stuff trucked. You open a ticket with a description of what you need to have shipped, along with pickup and delivery locations and times. Shippers then bid on your ticket. You can specify open or closed transport, but don't expect to see fancy semis with multi-level enclosed auto trailers. These will be guys with pickups and trailers. The site has ratings for both shippers and customers, so you have some idea of how they perform. This option is cheaper, but riskier.

Have used UShip before with mixed results. My personal experience is that you will probably get the best deal available from UShip. Main issue I have had is when you buy a car from an area that is not traveled often by trucking companies. I one bought a car from the middle of nowhere in Montana, and hired a company from UShip, what a fiasco... Anyime I have used UShip to buy cars that are in well traveled areas, or big cities, I have not had an issue.

Another option is to check out a site called UShip. This site matches truckers with people who need to have stuff trucked. You open a ticket with a description of what you need to have shipped, along with pickup and delivery locations and times. Shippers then bid on your ticket. You can specify open or closed transport, but don't expect to see fancy semis with multi-level enclosed auto trailers. These will be guys with pickups and trailers. The site has ratings for both shippers and customers, so you have some idea of how they perform. This option is cheaper, but riskier.

I used Uship last summer going from northern Illinois to South Dakota for two cars, it ran less than $800 total with zero issues. Uship will give quotes, high. Key is don't accept right away, my experience is in the next few days they (individual Truckers) will keep dropping their bids.

Bummer to hear your moving John. I wish you all the luck in the world at your new place in NC. I sure don’t blame you from moving from here, winter sucks and the roads do too! Anyway best of luck to you!

Attachments

• F4B25BF3-1847-42F3-9E9C-E0765F7273C2.jpeg
    F4B25BF3-1847-42F3-9E9C-E0765F7273C2.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 5
John, Wow, moving to slightly warmer climate eh! Good for you.
Reliable Carriers are (or were) in Canton near NPD. They shipped my car from LA to Detroit without any issues. That said and as your car is a good driver, I'd drive it, it's not that far. Even if you had to do two trips to get everything moved, it would likely be cheaper than trucking the car.
I have a friend who moved to NC a couple of years ago and absolutely love it there. He lives near Hendersonville up in the high country.
Good luck my friend.
Side note; has anyone heard if the Mustang Memories show in Dearborn will be a go this year?

Haven’t seen or heard anything about it yet or for the Dream Cruise either.
I don't do the Dream Cruise, but would probably do the Dearborn show if it's on.
Most car shows this side of the border are a go............. at the moment!!! That could change if people continue to be irresponsible.

I don't do the Dream Cruise, but would probably do the Dearborn show if it's on.
Most car shows this side of the border are a go............. at the moment!!! That could change if people continue to be irresponsible.
Mustang Memories show is August 21st this year

I am planning on moving to Charlotte area soon. Any recommendation on car shipping company's. Also what it going to cost me to ship my mustang from Farmington Hills MI to Charlotte area NC

John J
Good luck! I’ve only used one transport company and it wasn’t a very good experience. The driver must have used my car because when it arrived it had bent connecting rods and paint damage. It didn’t leave the shipper in that condition. Upon complaining I was told they aren’t responsible for how a car runs it either does or doesn’t. I suggest if your moving rent a uhaul truck and trailer and move it your self. I may be cheaper in the long run.

John, Wow, moving to slightly warmer climate eh! Good for you.
Reliable Carriers are (or were) in Canton near NPD. They shipped my car from LA to Detroit without any issues. That said and as your car is a good driver, I'd drive it, it's not that far. Even if you had to do two trips to get everything moved, it would likely be cheaper than trucking the car.
I have a friend who moved to NC a couple of years ago and absolutely love it there. He lives near Hendersonville up in the high country.
Good luck my friend.
Side note; has anyone heard if the Mustang Memories show in Dearborn will be a go this year?
On their web site they say its on this year. Aug 22. Registration details to be posted soon. Thanks for the info.

John J

I shipped my car from Ohio to Minnesota with a carrier called Passport. I would highly recommend them. They are reasonably priced, timely and they handled the car respectfully and professionally.
I was charged $1300. for the service and after it was all said and done I couldn’t have driven there to tow it back any cheaper. That trip is about 12 hours drive time …… one way.

NC is beautiful country! Good luck

I recently shipped a car from DC down to GA. What I learned from the experience is most of the car shippers you see online are not actually shippers. They do not own any trucks or trailers. They are brokers. There is an exchange with a bidding system. You tell the broker you need to ship a car and how much you want to pay. They tack on their fee and put you on the list. All the people who actually do the shipping look at the list to see what cars need to go where and how much the person is willing to pay.

I ended up paying about $550 to bid myself to the top of the list and pay the broker. A couple hours later, some driver picked up the job. Dude shows up, barely speaking any english. He looked fairly sketchy. He was driving a diesel van with a window AC unit mounted in it. Pretty sure he slept in his van to save on having to pay for hotels. Either way, we both took pictures before he started loading it and after he met me down in GA. No damage to my car and it made it here in a timely manner. There were automated emails fired off, so he was definitely legit and running some sort of commercial software to run his business. The emails said the business name who actually handled moving the car was TWO BROTHERS GENERAL SERVICES LLC out of FL.

Due to the nature of the bidding system, if you go that route, there are seasonal rushes. In the winter, a lot of folks from up north wanting cars hauled to the south. Then in the spring, the rush happens in the opposite direction. So it'll cost you more to move a car depending on which direction its going and what time of year.

I recently shipped a car from DC down to GA. What I learned from the experience is most of the car shippers you see online are not actually shippers. They do not own any trucks or trailers. They are brokers. There is an exchange with a bidding system. You tell the broker you need to ship a car and how much you want to pay. They tack on their fee and put you on the list. All the people who actually do the shipping look at the list to see what cars need to go where and how much the person is willing to pay.

I ended up paying about $550 to bid myself to the top of the list and pay the broker. A couple hours later, some driver picked up the job. Dude shows up, barely speaking any english. He looked fairly sketchy. He was driving a diesel van with a window AC unit mounted in it. Pretty sure he slept in his van to save on having to pay for hotels. Either way, we both took pictures before he started loading it and after he met me down in GA. No damage to my car and it made it here in a timely manner. There were automated emails fired off, so he was definitely legit and running some sort of commercial software to run his business. The emails said the business name who actually handled moving the car was TWO BROTHERS GENERAL SERVICES LLC out of FL.

Due to the nature of the bidding system, if you go that route, there are seasonal rushes. In the winter, a lot of folks from up north wanting cars hauled to the south. Then in the spring, the rush happens in the opposite direction. So it'll cost you more to move a car depending on which direction its going and what time of year.
It's called "Trucking Wars" on TV. Good point though, so be warned.
In John's case, Reliable Carries IS a real trucking company and is literally just down the road for him.

Back