Moving to NC from MI car shipping cost

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like Stanglover said, it’s really a big shipping black hole….. once you try to find the cheap rate for shipping anything, your data is input to a “cargo dispatchers” website and you’ll start getting MANY rate offers, none of which are guaranteed services, just their bids. They also rarely give an accurate timeline for service.
I have more than a couple “frugal” friends that went that route…….. their still tryin to get off that email list after a year. Think of it like those extended new car warranty folks…… they just never go away.
Passport, the company I recommended is a trucking company with dedicated trucks and team drivers that specialize in handling cars and trucks.

Good luck

Like Stanglover said, it’s really a big shipping black hole….. once you try to find the cheap rate for shipping anything, your data is input to a “cargo dispatchers” website and you’ll start getting MANY rate offers, none of which are guaranteed services, just their bids. They also rarely give an accurate timeline for service.
I have more than a couple “frugal” friends that went that route…….. their still tryin to get off that email list after a year. Think of it like those extended new car warranty folks…… they just never go away.
Passport, the company I recommended is a trucking company with dedicated trucks and team drivers that specialize in handling cars and trucks.

Good luck

I managed to get my car shipped with the broker system and never received any spam at all from it. I got emails from the shipper with their before and after pictures and things related to my car. The closest thing to spam I got from it was a question for how I would rate the service.

I did not sign up for any website. I googled and the first google hit for shipping a car is who I called. I did everything over the phone with the broker.

We recently moved from the Seattle area to Ohio. Had two cars to move, the Mach 1 and a Riviera. Mayflower was our mover and they worked with a broker to arrange shipment of the cars (this was a work related relocation...ultimately no cost to us). Final cost came to 4k (enclosed trailer). Then it got weird. For starters, they were a day late on the pickup. This was an issue as my wife and I were driving cross country to our new place so, as we were already out of the house, we had to find accommodations for that night as well as shift all our other hotel reservations out a day.

Pickup day: I had to drive the cars down to a local park as the driver stated he couldn't make it down our road. Odd, as there had been no issues when the cars had been dropped off 12 years prior. Whatever. Met the driver at the park. Guy had such a strong Russian accent I could barely understand him but he got the cars loaded at which time I reminded him we were driving cross country and it would be about five days before we reached Ohio (wife wanted to take a detour to Yellowstone).

Fast forward two days. We are at Yellowstone waiting for Old Faithful to erupt and my phone rings. "Hey this is your car transporter....just wanted to let you know we are three hours away from your house". Scrambling ensues. Our realtor in Ohio went above and beyond and met them at the house and got the cars safely in the garage but what an S show. The entirety of our household items arrived 3 (yes, THREE) months later but that is another story.

Have you considered doing it yourself? You could rent a double axle car hauler from Uhaul, mine was about $150 last year. If you don’t have a suitable truck, you can rent a small box truck from them….I have towed several Mustangs longer that 4 hours with standard pickup trucks with no issues.

I found a company on line that moved both my Mustang and my wife"s Wrangler for 1900.00. I gave the drive a nice tip half up front and the rest when he dropped off the cars. No issues.

John J

I totally feel you on that shipping black hole situation! It can be a real maze trying to find the best deal, and those endless rate offers can drive you crazy. Speaking of shipping, I recently had to transport my brand new car, and I found a reliable company that made the whole process a breeze. They're called Passport, and they specialize in handling cars and trucks. No bidding games, just dedicated trucks and team drivers. If you're looking to get an estimate of rates for car shipping, you can check out this link: www.a1autotransport.com/rate-quote/. It's a real time-saver.

Last edited:
I am planning on moving to Charlotte area soon. Any recommendation on car shipping company's. Also what it going to cost me to ship my mustang from Farmington Hills MI to Charlotte area NC

John J
We moved from communist Illinois to South Dakota, few hundo per car. Go to "ship" ask for quotes, when they come, give it a day or two and the pricing will continue to drop. We had no issues it was in fact the easiest part of the move. Shipped 3 of the cars, I car dollied two of them and the remainder were driven.

Back