MSD Distributor options

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
'73 mustang convt.
My engine specs are in my sig.

I run a mallory unilite now. It works okay but the springs to adjust the timing curve are no longer available and sometimes it acts up a bit.

I am limited to small cap distributors because of my carb setup.

No FI or Computer controls on the car.

Vacuum advance is a must (simulated or otherwise)

RPM limiter would be nice but not a requirement.

RPM limit is about 6500, I don't need 10,000 RPM inginition.

The higher compression and the fact Clevelands like a little more initial advance makes a timing retard ability during starting desirable.

No NOS or Boost, none planned.

I want to be able to set my advance curve and maximum advance.

Stock look is not important.

I have a converted RCCI tach so I can use a regular tach signal.

MSD has a lot of options available, what components make sense?

Also, how do you initial time when you have Multiple Spark Discharge?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow - I might've gone that direction had I known about it when I went with my Duraspark set-up. They sure are proud of those little buggers, though. :whistling:

The MSD units do not have adjustable vacuum advance canisters. They typically bring in up to 15 degrees of vacuum advance. If you have 16 initial and 20 mechanical, then add 15 vacuum you have 51 degrees at cruising RPM. Too much in my opinion. You may be able to make some mods to limit the vacuum advance. There may be an adjustable vacuum advance for the MSD but, I've not found it. The "cast" distributor from Pertronix may be an option as it has an adjustable vacuum advance but I don't know how adjustable the mechanical advance is. I've never used the Pertronix distributor and I'm not a fan in general for performance applications.

Chuck

Latest posts

Back