Muffler Recommendation

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
1971 Ranchero
I'm looking for a free flowing and quiet 2 1/2" muffler and bonus if it has a 3" collector flange (but not required). I'm thinking that those two are somewhat mutually opposed, so I guess a good compromise is what I'm after.

I have a pair of Purple Hornies on it as a temporary setup and my neighbor complained....I can see why...the way their front porch and garage doors are positioned, the sound waves echo off of them.....they are a shade or two below open headers lol..

I installed Flowmaster FX and find them neighborhood friendly until I step on the loud pedal. They are a straight through glass packed muffler. Magnaflow (I think) has a better quality if that appeals to you. Do some research on good 'ol Google.

What length muffler body are you guys running? I'm seeing 14 and 20" with the majority of offerings in a 2.5" tube. I'm thinking the longer for flow/quiet....I may give DM a call.

The 20" body is a very tight squeeze under the Mustang floorpan. I have an exhaust off my old 71 Cougar and was running them temporarily until I get the car to the exhaust shop to fabricate the H-pipe for 2 1/2". You may not be able to get tailpipes into them without some very careful fabrication. The 14" is a standard length and fits with room to spare, which is what I'll be running when the motor goes back in.

Thanks guys, I got a pair of the 14" on order. I talked to tech support...actually a tech person and not someone in another country reading from their work instructions. He said the longer version would only be slightly quieter and flow should be the same between them.

I have straight through and they are loud and with premium gas at $5.03 a gallon you are going to hear every penny of it!
Don't complain Kilgon, I just filled my car with premium non-ethanol and at a rough currency exchange, I paid $6.50 US per 3.78 liters (1 US gallon).
At just under 10:1 comp ratio, I'm almost considering trying either 50/50 blend or just regular gas. It has ethanol, but the car is set up for up to 15% of the shit.
They can shove their damn electric cars where the sun don't shine........... don't get me going!

I have straight through and they are loud and with premium gas at $5.03 a gallon you are going to hear every penny of it!
Yeah, I enjoy the rumble of the Purple Hornies and not so much the $$ of gas. My truck is diesel so I've been above $5 for a while.

Back to the sound....on Monday, I needed to finish refilling the radiator, so I warmed it up in the garage. I only opened the door about 3ft....I went outside to bring in the garbage cans and could hear the neighbors garage door rattling. Gotta love the rumble of a 10.5:1 cleveland :D

Don't complain Kilgon, I just filled my car with premium non-ethanol and at a rough currency exchange, I paid $6.50 US per 3.78 liters (1 US gallon).
At just under 10:1 comp ratio, I'm almost considering trying either 50/50 blend or just regular gas. It has ethanol, but the car is set up for up to 15% of the shit.
They can shove their damn electric cars where the sun don't shine........... don't get me going!
Shouldn't be any problem running the ethanol in it. I have run both and really don't notice any difference. I did try using a lower grade and I started having knock Don't know what octane ratings are there but if premium is 93 you might try a tank of 91 and see what happens. I wouldn't go any lower than that.

Shouldn't be any problem running the ethanol in it. I have run both and really don't notice any difference. I did try using a lower grade and I started having knock Don't know what octane ratings are there but if premium is 93 you might try a tank of 91 and see what happens. I wouldn't go any lower than that.
Kilgon, yeah I just have a hatred for ethanol. It's a total con imo, just like getting 'forced' into buying electric cars because it's politically correct.
Ok enough of that. In Ontario, we can still get some non ethanol 91 octane premium, (Shell and their subsidiaries) which is what I use. Some stations, PetroCan and Esso/Mobil are now selling 93, but with 10% ethanol. I am hearing that Shell is dropping non-ethanol 91 premium to screw us over with 10% 93 octane.
All the components in my fuel system are good for 15% ethanol. I just want to avoid it if at all possible. A 50/50 blend is only 5% ethanol, but will drop the octane to about 89 and save me like 6 cents a liter, not worth it.

Yeah, I enjoy the rumble of the Purple Hornies and not so much the $$ of gas. My truck is diesel so I've been above $5 for a while.

Back to the sound....on Monday, I needed to finish refilling the radiator, so I warmed it up in the garage. I only opened the door about 3ft....I went outside to bring in the garbage cans and could hear the neighbors garage door rattling. Gotta love the rumble of a 10.5:1 cleveland :D
Is there anything your neighbors do that annoy you so perhaps you could barter with them? Maybe take them for a ride or better yet let Ken or Karen drive it around the block would be my approach. If you aren’t breaking any laws the absolute last thing I would do is appease them because… I shouldn’t have to expand on that.

Is there anything your neighbors do that annoy you so perhaps you could barter with them? Maybe take them for a ride or better yet let Ken or Karen drive it around the block would be my approach. If you aren’t breaking any laws the absolute last thing I would do is appease them because… I shouldn’t have to expand on that.
Or maybe go tighten up their garage doors loose nutz? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Back