Mustang Mach E................if that's what they call it!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1, M code, 4 speed.
I wasn't sure quite where to put this, off topic or other vehicles. I decided that the "Mach E" rant was better here.

I meant to post this a couple of days ago, but forgot. I was driving home from a road trip to the grocery store, when this "thing" came along side me. Sure enough it was the first Mustang Mach E I'd ever seen, either on the road or in the showroom. It was of course red. It looks like any other SUV cross-over out there, big and ugly. I had never seen the back end of one either. It of course had the triple tail lights, but the part that did impress me was the turn signals which are somewhat sequential, nice and visible. 

I'm not sure who has seen one of these on the road, but this sure ain't a Mustang in my book. I hope none of us true Mustang guys buys one. 

As for electric vehicles, that's got to be one of the biggest con jobs ever pulled on the population. Do we need to ween off fossil fuels, absolutely, but go do your homework on the production and POLUTION associated with mining and processing Lithium and the rare earth magnet materials needed to produce batteries and motors for electric vehicles. Then there is the sky rocketing need for electricity and the cost of it. What is the fuel going to be to power all these electric cars. Wind is good (to a point), but again an unsightly scare on the landscape. Sola is much the same and takes up vast areas of land. The cost per mile to run an electric car is something like triple the cost of gasoline when it is all figured out. You can go research that. One more thing. Have you seen what they do with old wind turbine blades after their 25 year life? They cut em up and BURY them. How's that good for the environment!

OK rant over, just my opinion.

I am not a fan of the new Mach-e either.   The only good thing about it is the body does has some style to it instead of being boxy like some of the others out the.  

Electric cars are just a band aid on our long term climate problems.  And yes, in reality they creates more pollution then a gas power vehicle when you consider what it takes to make the batteries and motors versus a traditional car and the refinement of gas.  Also a issue with the disposal of the old batteries.

When we learn how to conquer the power of the atom as in a nuclear fusion "battery" or "power cell" then we can truly make a impact on pollution.   

Very interesting info on the birds being fried.   I don't every recall hearing about that.  I guess the environmentalist wanted to keep that hush hush! 

I am not a fan of the new Mach-e either.   The only good thing about it is the body does has some style to it instead of being boxy like some of the others out the.  

Electric cars are just a band aid on our long term climate problems.  And yes, in reality they creates more pollution then a gas power vehicle when you consider what it takes to make the batteries and motors versus a traditional car and the refinement of gas.  Also a issue with the disposal of the old batteries.

When we learn how to conquer the power of the atom as in a nuclear fusion "battery" or "power cell" then we can truly make a impact on pollution.   

Very interesting info on the birds being fried.   I don't every recall hearing about that.  I guess the environmentalist wanted to keep that hush hush! 

Hydrogen would be a great solution If they ever figure a way to store it and make it safe in vehicles. I know there has been much done on this with varying success, but not there yet. The only biproduct is water. 

The forcing of electric vehicles upon us is more political than practical.

My opinion is that the auto manufactures have too much invested in electric cars to back out now.  However I do believe that the hydrogen power vehicle is the way to go, only emission from it is water.

As far as the "Mach E", I agree that trying to associate this vehicle to a Mustang is a loser.  Rather if you really want to associate it with a Ford product, why not resurrect the Galaixe as "GalaixE"

Mac

Hydrogen would be a great solution If they ever figure a way to store it and make it safe in vehicles. I know there has been much done on this with varying success, but not there yet. The only biproduct is water. 

The forcing of electric vehicles upon us is more political than practical.
+1 on the hydrogen.  Just a matter of time before a major break through in that field.  It will be a revolutionary event when that occurs.  A form of unlimited clean energy.  

As a 70 old male my my personal opinion of politicians in this country is at a all time low.  Very few good ones left in both parties.  The rest are just puppets and power hungry idiots.  They don't care about their constituents or any of their problems.  Just lip service to make them selves look good.  How can someone (John Kerry) be the US Envoy for Climate that has multiple houses, cars, yacht's and a jet. I wonder what his carbon footprint looks like?   It's the "do as I say not as I do" mentality.  As the song by the OJays go - Money, Money, Money, Money, Money!

Can't wait to see the US Pres field questions from the press today at 1pm est.  :whistling:   Sorry to get on politics and a rant.  

Last edited by a moderator:
My opinion is that the auto manufactures have too much invested in electric cars to back out now.  However I do believe that the hydrogen power vehicle is the way to go, only emission from it is water.

As far as the "Mach E", I agree that trying to associate this vehicle to a Mustang is a loser.  Rather if you really want to associate it with a Ford product, why not resurrect the Galaixe as "GalaixE"

Mac
I agree. 

+1 on the hydrogen.  Just a matter of time before a major break through in that field.  It will be a revolutionary event when that occurs.  A form of unlimited clean energy.  

As a 70 old male my my personal opinion of politicians in this country is at a all time low.  Very few good ones left in both parties.  The rest are just puppets and power hungry idiots.  They don't care about their constituents or any of their problems.  Just lip service to make them selves look good.  How can someone (John Kerry) be the US Envoy for Climate that has multiple houses, cars, yacht's and a jet. I wonder what his carbon footprint looks like?   It's the "do as I say not as I do" mentality.  As the song by the OJays go - Money, Money, Money, Money, Money!

Can't wait to see the US Pres field questions from the press today at 1pm est.  :whistling:   Sorry to get on politics and a rant.  
No problem. It's much the same here in Canada too. We're led by a total buffoon.

I just received an email that would be very appropriate in this post, but unfortunately I can't link it, probably wouldn't be allowed anyway.

We know it can be done and that the engines are running on hydrogen. But there are reasons why aside the practical safety issues that comes with hydrogen manufacturers think about it differently for the future... (they do not see 71-73 mustangs part of the future as we do! :O )

And here's an interesting read suggesting that the polution of electric vehicles is in fact, less than that from conventional vehicles:

https://www.carbonbrief.org/factcheck-how-electric-vehicles-help-to-tackle-climate-change

A lot has to do with the way electricity is generated around the world.
That's a good summary. I've seen that you can find dozens of articles and studies that claim the lifecycle pollution impact of electric vehicles is higher than gas vehicles, but then you can find just as many, if not more, research and studies claiming the opposite.

The reality is that calculating the pollution impact of every single stage of the car's production as well as it's fuel production is incredibly difficult and depends on a lot of variables, so the answer usually comes out to "it depends".

That's a good summary. I've seen that you can find dozens of articles and studies that claim the lifecycle pollution impact of electric vehicles is higher than gas vehicles, but then you can find just as many, if not more, research and studies claiming the opposite.

The reality is that calculating the pollution impact of every single stage of the car's production as well as it's fuel production is incredibly difficult and depends on a lot of variables, so the answer usually comes out to "it depends".
I agree, bottom line is none of the fuel sources are totally "green". There will always be pollution at some point that will only get worse as the population balloons. We're all doomed!

It may be an unpopular opinion, but I dont have a problem with the Mach-E. Ford is turning the Mustang name into a Brand instead of a model. Hell, look how much conversation has come up around this vehicle because of the name. And they say any publicity is good publicity. I honestly hope more car enthusiasts embrace electric vehicles, because I feel like if they do, it will lessen the amount that the government decides they need to intervene. Because we all know that when the government steps in, they tend to screw everything up. 

It may be an unpopular opinion, but I dont have a problem with the Mach-E. Ford is turning the Mustang name into a Brand instead of a model. Hell, look how much conversation has come up around this vehicle because of the name. And they say any publicity is good publicity. I honestly hope more car enthusiasts embrace electric vehicles, because I feel like if they do, it will lessen the amount that the government decides they need to intervene. Because we all know that when the government steps in, they tend to screw everything up. 
Your opinion is most welcome. As it seems electric vehicles are here to stay.... for now, I'm hoping that after what, 40-45 years of trying, an even better, cleaner battery will be developed. I know there is something in the works that is supposed to be faster charging and more efficient.  As for governments stepping in and screwing things up, we're getting a carbon tax rammed down our throats in Canada. As a senior living on a smaller than hoped for pension, I guess I'll be riding my bicycle more.

Your opinion is most welcome. As it seems electric vehicles are here to stay.... for now, I'm hoping that after what, 40-45 years of trying, an even better, cleaner battery will be developed. I know there is something in the works that is supposed to be faster charging and more efficient.  As for governments stepping in and screwing things up, we're getting a carbon tax rammed down our throats in Canada. As a senior living on a smaller than hoped for pension, I guess I'll be riding my bicycle more.
Oh Im up in Canada with you so I also get to deal with the carbon tax, and while I dont agree with it, I sadly think its here to stay. I do hope battery tech continues to improve, right now one of the few challenges for electric cars is range and charge time, so if that gets better its a definite win. 

Oh Im up in Canada with you so I also get to deal with the carbon tax, and while I dont agree with it, I sadly think its here to stay. I do hope battery tech continues to improve, right now one of the few challenges for electric cars is range and charge time, so if that gets better its a definite win. 
 Ah yes, a fellow Canuck, screwed like a duck!  I know the tax is supposed to be "Revenue Neutral", what ever that actually means, but in the end it will be the little guy who pays. Always was, always will be.

Ok, that's enough for the political stuff. Lets get back to driving OUR Mustangs that make lots of lovely sounds while we still can. Electric cars need to have a huge sound system for "sound effect" Vrooom Vrooom!

I don't get it. Even Ray Charles and Jose Feliciano can see that the Ford "Mach- E", has not a goddamn thing in common with Ford's own Mustang Mach 1. Like Carrol Shelby said about the Cobra......"..If the car's bad, the name won't save it, If the car's good, the name doesn't matter". Apparently, Ford didn't think the car was good enough to stand on It's own name when they decided to re-package the "Mach" moniker ( while still using the Mach 1 badging on new Mustangs). I'm sure they figured the name would give their new electric car a performance sounding vibe. It only serves to dilute what the original Mach has come to represent. Only time will tell.

someone woke up from a sleepless night to give it that name. i'm not a fan of electric vehicles anyways. around town maybe. but just think in 10 yrs if biden has his way of trying to drive coast to coast it'll take over a week to drive, hotel room, food, pay'n for electric to charge it. i don't think so. or get a 1 ton truck and fill the back with batteries...

Back