Mustang Museum coming to Concord,NC

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is great news. Finally going to happen after years of promises, delays and no one being able to decide where it should be built. The group that originally proposed the Museum over 15 years ago seems to have disappeared. Thank goodness this new group looks as though they are going to pull it off! Years ago a Ford Rep had told me that Ford Motor Company was going to contribute a very large $$ amount to get the museum project started.  Guess after all the years of delays and infighting, Ford lost interest in a group that couldn't make any decisions.  

Sounds like a great trifecta. The Spring and Fall cars shows at Charlotte Motor Speedway, The Mustang Museum, and Dennis Carpenter's mega operation all in a row.

That is great news. Finally going to happen after years of promises, delays and no one being able to decide where it should be built. The group that originally proposed the Museum over 15 years ago seems to have disappeared. Thank goodness this new group looks as though they are going to pull it off! Years ago a Ford Rep had told me that Ford Motor Company was going to contribute a very large $$ amount to get the museum project started.  Guess after all the years of delays and infighting, Ford lost interest in a group that couldn't make any decisions.  

Sounds like a great trifecta. The Spring and Fall cars shows at Charlotte Motor Speedway, The Mustang Museum, and Dennis Carpenter's mega operation all in a row.
I am in the middle of it, lol. Would be great to get a car in there. Then I would not have to store it, lol. I sent them info on a couple things they might want to display.

David that would be a good get away trip for you. I believe you had posted earlier about visiting Carpenters operation. After a day at the car show( at the track) I was usually very ready to go home. Had phoned in orders to them but had never been there. Stopped by once to pick up some 65 Galaxy parts for our body shop manager and was given the "Tour". What an amazing operation

Yes, you should tell the museum you have several candidates that are worthy of display. Would free up some of your space. Lol. Your removable hard tops are probably another good display ideal. I bet a lot of knowledgeable Mustang people are not aware of them! [emoji593]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
I hear the Mustang Owners Museum has broken ground. Anybody on the forum founding members? Anybody plan on attending the grand opening events in April?

Rich

It is sooo small though. You would have thought that they would have made big enough to put one of each year at least if not one of coupe, vert and fb for each year.

An odd thing is the last Mustang show I attended Aug.19 there was a brochure in the goodies bag they gave you when you signed in. It is announcing "The Mustang Museum of America Birmingham, Alabama".

Did it ever open? The brochure says " open to the public in the spring of 2016".

They were selling memberships from $25.00 for seniors to lifetime member for $2,000. It said set up as a non profit 501 © (3).

I went last year in April was there for three nights. Did the car show, they had the preview museum open with a few cars and some shirts and stuff for sale. Did the parade laps on the Roval at the speedway. I was the only 71 - 73 there and had several wanting to buy the 73 vert.

I did talk with Steve the guy running the show and my 73 Mach 1 will be displayed and one of the removable hard tops for the early mustang.

Daniel Carpenter is the owner of the museum and will occupy the upper floor. So I think 60,000 sq. ft. is pretty small. Steve will not say but I think Ford is going to loan a few of the early Mustangs for display.

Gale Halderman will be there again. He did autographs last year going to take his book and get him to sign it and hope to get him to sign my car.

I booked by room the first day of the notice early last summer. It is at the hotel that they will sign you in at would have to look it up forget which one. I know that a couple other members plan on attending. Will be there for all four days. I cannot get my track days car done with my back out. Will do the mustang parade laps again with my 73 vert. Booked for the banquets and such. Not going to the brewery hate the taste of beer. There is the drive across the U.S. also starting in Washington state all the way to Charlotte. Last year one guy drove his 65 fastback from Calif.. They stop in Tenn. then will do the Dragons Tail road in the mountains of N.C. by here and on to Charlotte. I will already be in Charlotte so not going to join them.

They need something over 600 mustangs to be in the parade lap to break the record that is currently held by Mexico believe it or not.

Got some help to clean up the 73 Mach 1 will pull engine clean and put back, take interior out clean and put back. Nothing will be restored just a detail job. Will not turn engine over until I pull the valve covers so I can see if a valve is stuck. If there are issues will tear down and check it out. Engine is simple the detailing it the hard part. Will use a pry bar to rock the rockers to see if stuck. If you use the starter or turn the crank it will bend any valve that is stuck. Will look in cylinders with bore scope to see if rusty also. On engines I have that were stored in past has not been issue. One sat from 1954 to 1996 and had no rust in cylinders and no stuck valves and started right up.

I tried to get Marti to give me a break on the cost of the Deluxe Marti for it but he won't. He did say it was an impressive mustang. So far the highest optioned one. Marti cannot do a sort or anything of his data. He only looks at one at a time. The punch cards were the storage media back then.

I did get Kelsey Tire to give me a discount on 4 new Goodyear RWL F-70 X 14 E-S tires, wholesale price. They are due to arrive today. My window sticker actually calls for Goodyear because I specified what tire I wanted. When I auto cross raced the car the Goodyear actually handled better than BFG radials.

So I will have one car out of the way may just give it to them since my son has absolutely no interest in them.

The Towne Top removable hard top will be in the accessories display if enough room or might hang from overhead. They were sold by Ford but not made by Ford. They will have a Mustang library with all the publications and magazines they can locate.

You have to see the Fox body collection that Daniel Carpenter has and go through Dennis Carpenters museum also. They are all on the same site just down the road from the Charlotte Speedway.

I am going to put the Ram Air back on the 73 even though it did not come on it. The car has 8 dealer options on it so it has 40 total options that Ford offered.

Pic of the car and one of the Towne Tops. That is not me in the pic with the top it is the guys dad I bought it from.

Hey talking about not buying from Ebay or Craigslist without touching. I drove to north of Dearborn to get that top. Another I drove to Penn. and the other I drove to Washington DC, from N.C. They were all non stop trips. That is how much I trust stuff on Craigslist and eBay.

Here is a pic of the MOM that I received just now. Getting close. BTW they said it is not built on a cavern like the Corvette museum was so hopefully my car will not go into a sink hole. I think Daniel Carpenter said there was 28 tractor trailer loads of steel in the building.

mail

I see they briefly had my car in the video. They would not allow us to put the story boards out for the cars until Saturday. They said people would spend too much time looking if we did. After I put the info out more people were interested for sure because of the story of sitting in the barn for 37 years and then driving into the museum the Friday before the Grand Opening.

My car still there if you get a chance to visit they reopen this weekend I believe.

Here is short video slide show I did. I have hours of video but not had time to edit it. I have been getting caught up on house since the Mustang took 10 weeks of my time. I planted some garden yesterday, onions and corn. You can have fresh corn here by the 4 th. of July if you get in early. I might make it.

https://animoto.com/play/2AnHncH4r6i0WDZ02dYb2w

Cheers,

David

Back