My 1st 71-73 Project.. it's a great day!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soonerbillz

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Ford Mustang
... So I mentioned in my introduction post that I was looking for a project to work on as I wind down my motorcycle racing days.

I said then I always loved the 71-73 Mustangs.. and was intent on doing one...

As luck would have it, my initial post proved to be the linchpin to getting my hands on a project car much sooner than I expected. A very helpful member of this forum contacted me and offered me a deal on a car at a great price and allowed me to work it out so it did not hurt me financially through the holiday season.. we all know how stressful and expensive the last part of the year always is.. so it was a blessing to get the help!

Anyways, so now I have my project.. and I am looking forward to the day when it is complete..!!

My new project is a 1972 Grande Coupe. 

The Grande is a H code 351-2V with the FMX automatic and a regular open 2.73 rear. It was optioned with the white vinyl roof over the bright metallic blue body color., high back buckets done in blue vinyl/cloth.. a full console, am radio, air conditioning, tilt steering column with power steering and power disc brakes. That's about all the extra fancy options it came with. 

As a Grande model the car could have been ordered with many more options.. so I believe the car likely was a dealer ordered ride  as a mid level inventory filler(I am no expert on these things so I could be dead wrong here)

The car has been sitting awaiting restoration for a long time.. it is in need of repair or replacement of most every part.. but it is a pretty solid base for a project.  It has rust in some areas, lower quarters, rear floor pans and some where the vinyl roof covered the roof/quarter seams, Some rust is evident on the aprons. But overall the rust is not too bad.. at least where I can see outright. When I tear the car down.. the real condition will be determined of course. 

When I first decided to get a project my dreams went running wild... thoughts of finding a J code dirt cheap.. or a Mach 1 and build a screaming blown monster.. and myriad of differing fantasies. 

Reality of course set in and as I said.. I got lucky to have a kind member assist me in actually getting into a project I could truly afford. Thankfully, because I could have wasted lots of time searching for a non existent golden goose.

So even with that.. I was insure of what path to take in this project.. Over the last month or so I went through a thousand variations in my mind of what to make with this car.. a Grande/Mach 1/Frankenstein build..or a cool solid color with matching color wheels.. maybe drop in a big block or build a monster blown coupe thing... and a million other ideas.

As I wound on down to the actual day of becoming the official owner of this car.. I became certain of 2 things.. 1) Just because I finally got a car.. that did not make me instantly financially capable of fulfilling my wildest dreams, 2) If I really wanted to get this car into a nice condition.. I had to pull on my reins and be realistic of what I am capable of.

So I decided that instead of some custom car project.. I will restore the car back to it's original, as sold, condition.. I will repair and restore all the components and trim to the way it sat on the showroom.

So I have a plan, I am making a project checklist and will attack this logically, repairing and restoring it over time pi

ece by piece, part by part... as I can afford to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to see a member helped you find your project

Will be interesting to see how you go with it

Are you going concours restoration or just bringing it to original condition with a few minor mods?

I started out with mine just bringing it to near standard with a few upgrades and haven't deviated much from that except perhaps spending more on it than I should or can afford

Good luck with the project and plenty of help on this forum

Congrats on the grande. I think a stock build would be great. I’d only add that you consider a lower than stock stance. Car takes on another look

That’s what I’m talking about.

I just sold a decent 72 coupe parts car to Don at Ohio Mustang Supply...he may have some nice used parts if you are in the market!

Good to see a member helped you find your project

Will be interesting to see how you go with it

Are you going concours restoration or just bringing it to original condition with a few minor mods?

I started out with mine just bringing it to near standard with a few upgrades and haven't deviated much from that except perhaps spending more on it than I should or can afford

Good luck with the project and plenty of help on this forum
Thanks OZ... My intention is to not do any restomod work or changes to the car as far as the body or interior is concerned. I will just return it to stock as it was delivered to the dealer.. I am not talented enough to do a concours restoration but I will get it as close as possible.. 

The only things I will make improvements/changes on will be in the engine build.. again I will keep it basically stock though I will do some minor performance enhancements.

That engine compartment is in dreary condition.. it's going to fun bring it back to it's former beauty :D

everything is pretty much available to go whatever direction you want..............nothing that time and money can't fix :wrench:
Hi mudbilly! Yep.. looks like I won't have a hard time in finding most parts.. 

... LOL "nothing that time and money can't fix"   something I'm always a little short on it seems!  lollerz

Congrats on the Grandé. I think a stock build would be great. I’d only add that you consider a lower than stock stance. Car takes on another look
Thanks.. I may think about that ... but I am wanting to maintain the stock look using oem full wheel covers with the 70 series whitewall tires.

I know that goes against the grain of most who are building these coupes.. I just want to keep that stone stock look on this one.

Soonerbillz,  I still have the complete parts car Rocketfoot mentioned

It has the vinyl top trim you need

Lots of good parts on it

Soonerbillz,  I still have the complete parts car Rocketfoot mentioned

It has the vinyl top trim you need

Lots of good parts on it
Thanks.. I will contact you when I know what I am needing for sure!

Wow, looks almost finished, no missing parts, nice! ;-)

Enjoy your project buddy :)
LOL!... Yeah almost!

someone did rob the carb and power steering pump though!

I know to some of you more experienced well heeled guys , those of you that have already been down the road of restoring or rebuilding and working on these cars may find this goofy or childish...but for me this is all new territory.

Last year I bought that terribly rotted Grande Coupe. So far the only thing I've done is look at it set .. or just checked it hasn't been stolen from where I have it parked ... but most generally I just just just fantasize about really getting going on this.

There's been so much in my life going on over the last several months both physically and in other directions that are personal that have kept me from doing anything not even just on the car the Mustang but on motorcycles and other things that are so dear to me.

But today is the new day and the start of where I'm going to be going ..behold the pictures that I posted this is the first part that I have bought for this car of the thousands I will have to purchase or restorein the future but this is the first one and I'm happy and proud to say that my dream is in motion...?

(PS... I posted this earlier on FB.. but felt it also belongs as a update to this thread)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back