My 2003 Mach 1 Won't Start

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icejawa

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 M Code,2003 Mach Azure Blue
Sorry in advance if this is the wrong category to put this in. I tried the "03/04 Mach Registry" site but it seems dead so I'm back here where I usually ask for help about my 71 mach..

EDIT: I see there is a different subforum for "Other Years" which I somehow rolled right over. Doh!

I have a 2003 Mach with the 4.6L DOHC engine and it won't fire up, it cranks/turns over though.

I went through the usual checklist:

-New battery

-Checked fuel system: Pump works when I put the key in "on" position in ignition. Fuel filter is clean and relay is working properly.

-Replaced spark plugs and checked each one for spark which gives a blue fat spark every time

-Compression test checks out evenly across all cylinders

-Alternator is working normally

-Tried using starter fluid but no results

I haven't physically checked the starter yet since I will have to jack the car up and need to borrow a jack later tonight.

So this makes me think its possibly either the starter or my anti theft system (stock).

I read online that this is probably because the PATS anti theft system took a random crap and isn't allowing the car to actually fire up even though it cranks.

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to borrow, or buy, an OBD II scan tool. The prices have come way down and decent ones can be bought for $50-$60. Chuck

Cranks turns over = not the starter

Does the '03 have a crank sensor? I had a crank sensor go bad once and it was like someone turned off the ignition.

+1 on the OBD II scan tool. Until Ford installs a Ctrl+Alt+Del button a code reader will be your best friend.

Yes they have crank sensors I will go get a OBD II scanner tomorrow hopefully its a sensor. My theft light blinks super rapid but turns off when i have they key in the on position. I don't know if that means PATS is broken but only a scanner will tell. thanks for the advice

My son's 2002 GT did the same thing

Cranked, theft light flashed rapidly

Everyone said PATS was bad

At one point I decided to swap batteries with my truck.

Started right up - his battery was just weak - car seemed to crank fine, just wouldn't fire ???

I do remember you could smell fuel when cranking.

Is the new battery you got fully charged?

Somehow it was the MAF sensor. I got it to start pretty much by playing rough with the gas pedal but it would stall driving down the street. So I got a obd II scanner read the code and it was MAF sensor failure. I put it in today (super easy) and now it runs and accelerates better than it has in a while.  :chin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back