My experiences with bigger wheels

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ended up with boyd's 18x8 (all four) and the offset is zero and they should just bolt right up with no issues. I am going to use your advice again on the tire size to mount on these and go with 255/45/18 pics forthcoming. Hurry Up powder coater!! haha thanks again!

Hi guys

very interesting

and Mike yes we are in metric have been since 1973

I still have to convert things to inches to visualise the size

any way I have stock standard Chrysler 300C wheels

I had to get the centres turned out as the Ford bearings

are bigger than the Chrysler ones

I dont use spacers at all

which was a bit of a suprise as the 300C was a 2007 model

and every thing from 2000 onwards seems to have 45mm off set

have a look at my avatar you will see how they fit

I got them at a pawn shop of all places $400

I knocked them down to $350

and they had 95% tread 235-60X18 Pirellis

so a bargain all round

thanks John

Dont trust a dog to hold a sandwich for you

I ended up with boyd's 18x8 (all four) and the offset is zero and they should just bolt right up with no issues. I am going to use your advice again on the tire size to mount on these and go with 255/45/18 pics forthcoming. Hurry Up powder coater!! haha thanks again!
Did you ever get pics? Can you post them or PM? Thx

What do they call the Whopper?

What do they call the Whopper?
"I dunno. Never been to Burger King. "

:)

Ah, the classics. ;)

Actually we call it the Whopper in Europe too.

But the quarter pounder is still called "Royal with cheese". No kidding.

Nice wheels and tires! What you were considering @ 225-35, I have 245 X 60 X 15 X 8" on rear and 225 X 7's in front(Goodrich white raised lettered T/A radials) and Magnum 500 X 7 in front and X 8" in rear and was looking at Mustangs Ones Magnum 500 X 18 or 19" wheels however I am trying to keep it to "appear" like a stock HiPo.

Being an old codger, I prefer the look of stock...or maybe what appears "stock" to most, even though subtley improved ( in my opinion, any way).

My car has 15x8 Magnums in the rear with 255/60/15s, and 15x7" Magnums with 245/60/15s in the front.

I had custom-made rear leaf-springs made with a 2" height increase over stock, and the front coils are 1" LOWERING springs, but with a 1" aluminum spacer added to maintain stock ride height in the front...almost. The stiffer front coils plus the solid spacer actually increased front height by about 1/2".or so over stock. Plus, the stiffer springs help to keep the boat-anchor 429 from upsetting the front end as much when cornering. Nothing will make a big-block big-body Mustang what you would call a "handler", but this in addition to some nice KYBs and a bigger front sway bar helps a bunch.

The "rake" of the car is ever-so-slightly raised in back, which I prefer over the anemic stock stance with the rearend lower than the front. The actual factory- stock look always looked wrong to me.

Over all, the looks pretty stock to most casual observers unless another 71-73 is parked next to it.

IMAG0118.jpg

IMAG0120.jpg

IMAG0123.jpg

Luxstang, do you think i will have a problem running 18's from a 2005 model mustang on my 72 mach?

::welcome::

Being an old codger, I prefer the look of stock...or maybe what appears "stock" to most, even though subtley improved ( in my opinion, any way).

My car has 15x8 Magnums in the rear with 255/60/15s, and 15x7" Magnums with 245/60/15s in the front.

I had custom-made rear leaf-springs made with a 2" height increase over stock, and the front coils are 1" LOWERING springs, but with a 1" aluminum spacer added to maintain stock ride height in the front...almost. The stiffer front coils plus the solid spacer actually increased front height by about 1/2".or so over stock. Plus, the stiffer springs help to keep the boat-anchor 429 from upsetting the front end as much when cornering. Nothing will make a big-block big-body Mustang what you would call a "handler", but this in addition to some nice KYBs and a bigger front sway bar helps a bunch.

The "rake" of the car is ever-so-slightly raised in back, which I prefer over the anemic stock stance with the rearend lower than the front. The actual factory- stock look always looked wrong to me.

Over all, the looks pretty stock to most casual observers unless another 71-73 is parked next to it.
::welcome::very sharp looking and very innovative with what you describe your suspension improvement. Have you ever ridden in a Corvette with Gymkana suspension? Is your improvements measure up to Gymkana's ride and handling? Mikke

i hate to bring up an old thread, but has anyone determined the correct wheel spacer size required for the the newer mustang wheels? i picked up a set of nice roush wheels that are the perfect look for where im going with my 72, but when test fitting, the rear sway bar contacts the wheel before the wheel gets to the wheels studs, thinking that these wheels are WAY too inward. thanks. i just want some nice newer mustang wheels but i really dont like fat 5's or the cragers i currently have on the car.

Depends on their backspacing. My rims are for 2005 up Mustangs and I have 40mm adapters. For the front I could have used 30 or 35mm though.

Simply put some washers on your lug nuts until the wheel sits where you want it and then measure the height of the washers. Or you can cut some pipe to 30, 35 and 40 mm and put those over the lug nuts etc.

Do not drive it like that! (Duh!) :)

yea, these wheels won't work even with spacers. they ate 18x10, I would need 2.25in of spacers. geus the wheel search continues

I have 18x10 on the rear axle.

You need adapters not spacers. Adapters bolt on to your original lug nuts and have their own to bolt the wheel onto.

18x10 in the front will probably not work in my experience.

I have 18x9 there and it's tricky already.

It may not be helpful yet, but on my thread I will post the pictures and hopefully no challenges of running a 1 inch rise on the rear springs, 1 inch drop on the fronts, and 295/60/15 rears on 8 in deep rims with 205/60/15 fronts with standard 7 inch deep rims.

You need adapters not spacers. Adapters bolt on to your original lug nuts and have their own to bolt the wheel onto.

Are you running the factory reared with the 18x10 rears?

Are you running the factory reared with the 18x10 rears?
Yes, everything is stock, the fenders are not even rolled inside.

Back