My Old 1973 Mach 1 is now in New Zealand!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q code Mach 1 blue glow C6 auto
1973 Q code Mach 1 blue glow, 4 speed
1973 H code Convertible ivy glow, FMX
Over the last 10 years I have been keeping an eye out for my old 73 Mach 1 (3F05H253351). I bought the car in Illinois when I was in high school in 1977 and later sold it in 1986 in Anaheim, California. I always thought in the back of my mind that it ended up in a crusher in California. I just found out yesterday that the car is still going strong but it was exported from California to New Zealand in 1994. It's nice to know it didn't get crushed but I guess I won't be seeing it ever again. Any of our members in New Zealand see this car at a car show or a meet there? It was dark green metallic and argent side stripes with an avocado standard interior. It was a 351C-2V with AC and that was basically its only option. I added the gauge package from a donor car back in 1982 as well as a full console and clock. Here is what it looked like in 1981.

Attachments

• 1973 Green Mach 1.jpeg
    1973 Green Mach 1.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
I'm glad you found it alive and ticking. I found my 1970 Boss 302 about 7 years ago in Georgia (I think). I last saw the car 08/02/1974, 3 days before starting a two year overseas tour. At least I know it is still around. Chuck

What a journey! I’m glad you found your car, though, even if it’s currently in NZ.

If there is one thing I cannot stand is seeing our cars shipped overseas! I sold my 67 390GT with deluxe everything to buy my 73 CJ vert to dealer who said he was gonna hold onto it. Next time I saw him at the Carlisle swap meet he told me sold to a buyer in Germany! Could have strangled on the spot! Still mad about it.

My '69 Boss 302 that I sold in 1982 ended up in OZ, as best I can determine. They have a great car culture down under and I know they enjoy vintage American muscle cars with the same passion we do. I have no problem with these cars being appreciated elsewhere.

Mine is on a boat right now, enroute to Europe from Bayonne. But it isn't going to another owner - it is joining me, after being in storage 22 years (when I moved to Europe in 2001). Delayed by Covid 2 years and also because it took that time before I have adequate safe/warm/dry storage for it. It sat for 6 weeks in a warehouse in New Jersey waiting its turn before finally loaded and set sail. I have owned my '71 Mach 1 since I was 17 (1978) and let me tell you - it is a totally unnerving experience to ship it overseas. You have to hand over your car, the keys and the original title to the shipper. Then you have no idea where it is until it is loaded. I shipped all my tools also and for that 6 week period I felt like I gave away my baby. However, I will have it here before the end of the year.

Europeans actually treat these cars very well and treasure them. There are some very devoted Mustang and classic car clubs where I am in the Prague, Czech Republic - where there is a very active and enthusiastic engineering and manufacturing heritage (the Skoda works as one example).

Last edited:
My '69 Boss 302 that I sold in 1982 ended up in OZ, as best I can determine. They have a great car culture down under and I know they enjoy vintage American muscle cars with the same passion we do. I have no problem with these cars being appreciated elsewhere.
Is mine from the Wild Wild West ?? Marti report shows it was originally shipped to California.

I finally got around to sorting the 600+ photos in date order, of my Mustang build including initial rust repairs.

There's a hole in the rear panel on the car.
Hole.jpg

After it came back from sandblasting.

Mustang (220).JPG

Mustang (221).JPG

Doesn't look like a Ford original build spec.
:D:D:oops:

Sold a 69 Gt fastback to New Zealand. 69 Convertible to Germany. 74 454 Corvette to Poland. I hate to see them leave the country, but just hope they are taken care of.

Steve. How did you track it down. Allison and I have been looking for my ‘73 green Mach. Very similar to yours but with a green vinyl top. Love to find her.
I was in contact with Allison a few months ago and relayed your Mach 1's info to the guy that found both my 73 Mach 1 and my old 69 Mach 1. Let me get back with him and bump this search back up. Hopefully it is still out there somewhere.

Back