mystery wires

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danno

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Fastback, Sportsroof
I have everything hooked up except I have no radio or lighter installed yet.

All these wires are seen in the vacant opening for the radio and bezel.

#1 is a molded plug with 4 wires going to it with 3 receptacles out, black to a male connection, light blue with a red tracer to a female connection, and 2 yellow wires, (always hot) going to the last female connection.

#2 a female spade connector with 2 black wires going to it, this connector indicates a ground with a test light...(maybe cig lighter ground?)

#3 a white wire that is hot with the ign switch coming out of a bundle on the left side of this opening

#4 white with a red tracer, stripped on the end, but shows no power or ground indications, also coming from that bundle on the left of the opening.

#5 a red wire with a blue tracer and a male bullet connection that goes under the carpet, no power or ground indicated.

Out of all these I think 1 and 2 are factory installations, not sure about 3 and 4, but 5 appears to be a PO installation.

I checked the connections on the am radio I removed and they don't mate up with any of the ones in question. All my lights, heater etc work normally.

wiring2.JPG

Sorry for the multiple pictures still trying to figure that procedure out. The molded plug is visable, the #4 is on top of the 2 wire spade connector, and the red spliced wire is the "hot with ign switch on" wire.

** Moderator Edit/Note: No worries, Man - we got your back with the formatting thing. - Eric (Mister 4x4)

Last edited by a moderator:
#1 sounds like the console clock connector.

#2: is this a base spade connector? If so, it is the ground for the cigarette lighter.

#3. Unknown.

#4: May be the oil pressure line, which when used with an alternator idiot indicator light, is used to also go to the ignition switch so that the light goes on when you turn the key on.

#5. This sure sounds like some sort of a neutral safety switch connector. Normally, the connector is out in the engine compartment and goes under neath to the tranny.

No pictures...

He'd posted the same picture several times - I removed all but one copy.

Are you saying you're not seeing any picture at all?

How about now?

attachment.php

I see it now, but don't see the red/blue wire. The picture confirms my identification of #1 and #2.

#2: is this a base spade connector? If so, it is the ground for the cigarette lighter.

#3. Unknown.

#4: May be the oil pressure line, which when used with an alternator idiot indicator light, is used to also go to the ignition switch so that the light goes on when you turn the key on.

#5. This sure sounds like some sort of a neutral safety switch connector. Normally, the connector is out in the engine compartment and goes under neath to the tranny.

Thanks for the reply. This car did (does) not have a console (#1). I will probably use the grounded spade connector as a lighter ground as soon as I install the lighter (#2), and maybe use the #3 mystery wire for the radio when it's installed? Re: #4 the oil press light works, but the alt light does not, ( a problem I had forgotten about until now), and for #5 I am going to pull the carper back and see where it goes. I have an new nss installed and operational. Does any of this sound feasible?

No pictures...

OK, this should do it.
Thanks for straightening out my mess.................

I see it now, but don't see the red/blue wire. The picture confirms my identification of #1 and #2.
Thanks for the reply. This car did (does) not have a console (#1). I will probably use the grounded spade connector as a lighter ground as soon as I install the lighter (#2), and maybe use the #3 mystery wire for the radio when it's installed? Re: #4 the oil press light works, but the alt light does not, ( a problem I had forgotten about until now), and for #5 I am going to pull the carper back and see where it goes. I have an new nss installed and operational. Does any of this sound feasible?

#3. Unknown.

No pictures...
Thanks for the reply. This car did (does) not have a console (#1). I will probably use the grounded spade connector as a lighter ground as soon as I install the lighter (#2), and maybe use the #3 mystery wire for the radio when it's installed? Re: #4 the oil press light works, but the alt light does not, ( a problem I had forgotten about until now), and for #5 I am going to pull the carper back and see where it goes. I have an new nss installed and operational. Does any of this sound feasible.

Update the #5 wire was not attached to anything, I just removed it from under the carpet...........

Back