NACA hood applications? What could you get them on?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71' Grande project.
What cars did Ford offer a NACA hood on as an option?  Were they available on sports roofs, coupes and grandes?

I have an RPM air gap on my Cleveland and I want to run a decent sized air cleaner.  A standard hood isn’t even close as far as clearance goes.  Since the NACA hoods have more clearance I am thinking of running one.  

I am on the fence with hood choice.  On one hand I need more room and the NACA hood would be an easy choice.  On the other hand I question how they look on a grande.

The NACA hood availability was model, engine and year dependant. 

For all 71-73 Mach 1s, it was standard on 351 or larger engines. a no cost option on 302 powered Machs.

All 71-429 cars received the NACA hood, Ram Air or not, as well as the Boss 351. AFAIK, all 429 non-RamAir cars received a body color hood, 

For 71 and 72, any 351 engine could be ordered with RamAir. That included the paint, hood locks and ram air plenum hardware. I believe the only exception was the 72 351HO that was not available with RamAir. There were also the 71 Spring Specials and the 72 Sprint cars that received a non-functional hood standard, or as part of the Sprint B package. 

For 73, only the 351-2V was available with RamAir, so the TuTone hood option was offered. To my knowledge, it was available for 302-V and up. 

IMO a body color hood would look best on a Grande' 

Roman8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ford never refereed to the hood by the old NACA only NASA.
In 72 you got the NASA hood with Q code as part of the package. I have seen 429 Grande at Detroit mustang show with NASA hood and ram air.
As with any trim and paint Ford would deviate if your dealer did a Special Order. You could probably have got the hood on a 6 cylinder but would have a six digit DSO code.  Build sheet would also show it. The only thing Ford could not deviate on were drive train items that had to pass a 40,000 mile test track run. Any cars built outside the tested components did not get a VIN# and were prototypes and could not be put on the road. Most of those got crushed. A good example of some getting out were the Torino King Cobras that Bud Moore picked up at the KK Kar Kraft facility they were headed crusher. He gave one of them to one of his employees, Jerry Mason who own's Mason's Hot Rods in Spartanburg, S.C. He offered it to me in the 1980's for $3,500. Did not have VIN# had EXP-429 etched in glass. They had bubbled out rear windows and odd rocker boxes. They did not have boss 429 engines like the owner's now claim. They want over one million now, lol. They did not work on the track. GM kept lots of prototype cars but Ford did not. So if you see a hood on a car check the DSO might be a Special Order and odd ball. There are hundreds each year and thousands some years. 3,470 in 1969.

Ford never refereed to the hood by the old NACA only NASA.
In 72 you got the NASA hood with Q code as part of the package. I have seen 429 Grande at Detroit mustang show with NASA hood and ram air.
As with any trim and paint Ford would deviate if your dealer did a Special Order. You could probably have got the hood on a 6 cylinder but would have a six digit DSO code.  Build sheet would also show it. The only thing Ford could not deviate on were drive train items that had to pass a 40,000 mile test track run. Any cars built outside the tested components did not get a VIN# and were prototypes and could not be put on the road. Most of those got crushed. A good example of some getting out were the Torino King Cobras that Bud Moore picked up at the KK Kar Kraft facility they were headed crusher. He gave one of them to one of his employees, Jerry Mason who own's Mason's Hot Rods in Spartanburg, S.C. He offered it to me in the 1980's for $3,500. Did not have VIN# had EXP-429 etched in glass. They had bubbled out rear windows and odd rocker boxes. They did not have boss 429 engines like the owner's now claim. They want over one million now, lol. They did not work on the track. GM kept lots of prototype cars but Ford did not. So if you see a hood on a car check the DSO might be a Special Order and odd ball. There are hundreds each year and thousands some years. 3,470 in 1969.
Dude, you need to document all this esoteric knowledge you have.  I am completely serious (although not as much fun as working on them or even better driving them!)

Back