Naca Hood with aftermarket Intake manifold

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slobin3d

Reaction score
My Car
1971,2,3 Mustang Project car
I picked up a Naca hood for my 351w car and have been looking to do motor upgrades to my car and I've been looking at things like the Edelbrock top end kit, but it includes the Victor JR intake. I want to know what options I have that wont interfere with the way the hood operates.

I picked up a Naca hood for my 351w car and have been looking to do motor upgrades to my car and I've been looking at things like the Edelbrock top end kit, but it includes the Victor JR intake. I want to know what options I have that wont interfere with the way the hood operates.
Because the 351W was never available from Ford in a 71-73 Mustang it may be hard to come by specific recommendations for manifolds that fit. Since the deck height of a windsor is taller than a cleveland (+.288?) I suspect your options will be limited due to hood clearance. If the engine is in the car it would be best to measure what the hood clearance is now and then using the manufacturer's dimensions for various intakes you are considering, calculate whether or not they will fit.

Do you plan on making the hood functional?

A Victor is tall on any engine, under any hood.

Does your engine build really require a Victor?

Keep in mind carb spacer and gasket heights, if needed, also.

I know this combination doesn't resemble your build, but I just got done upgrading my 351c 2V: replacd the stock Intake manifold and 2bbl carb with a new Edlebrock Performer Intake and an Edelbrock Thunder series 650cfm AVS carb... and the new setup is actually shorter than the stock setup. So when I go to install a functional Ram Air kit, all I need to do is fine the right siz spacer to go beneath the carb.

I do plan on making the hood functional, and I wasn't specifically looking at the vic Jr except it come with the edelbrock top end kit. But I knew it was taller then a OEM or even many aftermarket aluminum manifolds.

Because the 351W was never available from Ford in a 71-73 Mustang it may be hard to come by specific recommendations for manifolds that fit. Since the deck height of a windsor is taller than a cleveland (+.288?) I suspect your options will be limited due to hood clearance. If the engine is in the car it would be best to measure what the hood clearance is now and then using the manufacturer's dimensions for various intakes you are considering, calculate whether or not they will fit.
Not quite true Tommy but mostly true. A few 351w engines made it into the 1971 351 2v H-code cars. There was no distinguishing which car got which motor. The factory had excess 351W engines available so they were installed into the 71 mustangs without rhyme or reason until they were used up and a steady supply of 351C engines became available. Source is Kevin Marty "Mustang by the Numbers".

As far as intakes go for a 351W and ram air there are several that will work. My favorite is the Weiand Stealth.

Not quite true Tommy but mostly true. A few 351w engines made it into the 1971 351 2v H-code cars. There was no distinguishing which car got which motor. The factory had excess 351W engines available so they were installed into the 71 mustangs without rhyme or reason until they were used up and a steady supply of 351C engines became available. Source is Kevin Marty "Mustang by the Numbers".

As far as intakes go for a 351W and ram air there are several that will work. My favorite is the Weiand Stealth.
was there any modification required to make that combo or the others work?

Ford put windsor / c4's in 72's also.
I wouldn't doubt the 351w in a 72. There were no records or identifiers in the VIN to differentiate which car got a 351 W or C. All the 302s are W engines; so yes, Ford definitely put Windsors in the 72s. :p

For trannys in '72 there were:

6,373 C4s mated to the 6cyl engines

24,976 C4s mated to 302s

34,058 FMXs mated to 302s

All 351-2v with auto trans received FMXs

All Q codes with auto trans received C6s

If you have stats on trani's i will take your word for it, but it has been my understanding that the c4's went on the windsors, and the older design FMX' s were used on the more powerful Clevelands. I do not remember ever seeing a windsor with a FMX. But my personal experience is limited of course.

Yeah, that data didn't seem correct to me after i read it but it's straight from Marti Mustang by the Numbers and that's as good as it gets so I posted it all.

My 351w isn't OEM, it was rebuilt out of a 72 pickup and transplanted into my Clevland 2v car. My car as far as I know has a FMX boat anchor, hopefully soon to be replaced with a AOD out of a crown vic, until I can afford my tremec 6 speed. I have a buddy who has a 351w that he put a retarded amount of money into and put it in his 1990 Cougar, then promptly wrecked. He's selling me the motor for way less then I can build it. But it has the vic jr, I'd also considered building up the motor I have as it was just rebuilt albeit stock

I'd just use the already built W engine and rebuild your C later. I like your AOD plan. The 6 speed sounds pretty cool too.

I'd love to run the AOD over the FMX, and for $100 it's a no brainer At least until I can afford to do the 6 speed swap, love the manuals. My only concern with the aod is the TV cable setup with the carb'd engine and making it all work with the ram air

Last edited by a moderator:

Don, where is that info? I cannot find it

In 70 they were switching to Clevelands and had a mix of 2v C &W cars, by 71 it was all Clevelands.

Back