Name that part?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1, Q code 351CJ, 4 speed.
I have all of the dash parts cleaned and ready for paint except this one. Most of the dash pieces were in the back seat when I bought the car. One tab is broken. I thought that would help finding where it came from but hasn't.

Ideas???

20160511_123259-1.jpg

20160511_123306-1.jpg

20160511_123315-1.jpg

It's plastic? Appears to be chrome plated? Looks like it is part of the upper dash plastic that sits below the dash pad but can say for certain.

Yes it is plastic. So far I don't see anything broken on the drivers side guage panel, the center panel or the passenger side glove ox panel.

Based on how the paint kinda looks more like over spray on the chrome. I'm thinking it isn't somewhere visible when installed.

Thanks!

Wade

Since it looks like an "L" I would name it "Lloyd" or perhaps "Larry". :)

I don't recognize it. Maybe someone does. It's always possible it's not for your car. No part number on it? What about a ford stamp?

Sitting in my car waiting for my son to finish his after school gas pump jockey job... Off the top of my head and from long ago memory, possibly located at the top of the centre dash section adjacent to the centre light switch? Looks a little big, and I am questioning sitting here, if there was ever a light switch there with a small push/slide on/off switch? Could be thinking of another car... [/align]

Since it looks like an "L" I would name it "Lloyd" or perhaps "Larry". :)
Who says it is male?? could be a "Lulu", "Lisa" or "lacresha" :D

It's the access panel to the flux capacitor ?
Nah that is in the trunk and runs off of banana peels now.....::thumb::

Hopefully I will find it once I start putting the peices back in. But it could be from something else. I did have 2 defroster ducts in the trunk that do not go with the car! :shootself:

Thanks guys!

Wade

::thumb::

Heck I have pieces left over all the time. Some day I will be able to build a car from the leftover parts. It does look like maybe the top of the center dash just under the dash pad when installed. All of the dash parts with the chrome detailing were chrome plated first then put in a paint mask and sprayed black or in the case of the center section the interior color be it black, ginger, green etc.

As long as the car starts and steering wheel stays on don't sweat it.

Looks like it about the size/width of center dash light. Does it fit in near there? The tabs might be the nuts that the light screws up into?

As long as the car starts and steering wheel stays on don't sweat it.
rofl I use to say, if I didnt have parts left over then I didn't do the job right! We all know that engineers over design things!!! rofl

BTW, I am an engineer so hopefully that did not offend anyone! ::thumb::

Looks like it about the size/width of center dash light. Does it fit in near there? The tabs might be the nuts that the light screws up into?
The pad and metal dash cowl is off right now. I will take a look at that again this evening. I have the shop manual but did not see it in a diagram. may have missed it though.

I just took a look at my car and that appears to be a blank off for the map light. The aspect ratio is right. Take a look at the bezel for center gauges and see if it fits the opening at the top.

I just took a look at my car and that appears to be a blank off for the map light. The aspect ratio is right. Take a look at the bezel for center gauges and see if it fits the opening at the top.
Yep!::thumb:: I epoxied the peice back together last night. It seems pretty strong now. I am going to back it with gorilla tape.

Now.... Where do I get the peice that holds the light? I have found the lens at several vendor sites including NPD that is about 20 miles from me.

Thanks all for researching my mystery part!!! ::thumb::

Thanks

Wade

Yep!::thumb:: I epoxied the peice back together last night. It seems pretty strong now. I am going to back it with gorilla tape.

Now.... Where do I get the peice that holds the light? I have found the lens at several vendor sites including NPD that is about 20 miles from me.

Thanks

Wade
Hey I guess you missed the thread where one sold a couple weeks ago on eBay for several hundred dollars, lol. Probably a phantom bidder. The map lights are difficult to find a good working one. I saw a couple at Charlotte. There are no repo's so just search cl and eBay.

Thanks

Wade
Hey I guess you missed the thread where one sold a couple weeks ago on eBay for several hundred dollars, lol. Probably a phantom bidder. The map lights are difficult to find a good working one. I saw a couple at Charlotte. There are no repo's so just search cl and eBay.
OUCH!!!! :mad::shootself:

Thanks David!

Back