NASA hood on a coupe?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketFoot

Stangin' ain't easy but somebody gotta do it!
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
I'm seriously considering a NASA hood for the coupe...something to spice it up a little! What do you guys think? I was thinking of leaving it flat black (on a gold glow car) but it wont be getting any side stripes. I want to keep the body original. I don't know...looking for opinions! No need to replace it, my original hood is mint.

Last edited by a moderator:
My coupe (Ice) is (was) a gold glow Grande and I modified it with a NASA (NACA) scoop. Of course, me being a modifier, I also went to the MACH 1 grille in the front and the honey combed grill in the rear.

For me, it does "spice" it up quite a bit. In working on my Grande, I looked at some of the pictures of the Ford prototype mustangs and at the 71 - 73 convertibles to get an idea as to how the changes would look on the Coupe.

Using the NASA hood also seemed to give me a little more space when running the highrise single plane intake manifolds that I have been using on my big block motors. Another boon is that the underside of those hoods are perfect if one decides to add the "ram air" option. Complete Ram air parts are apparently now available from some of the mustang houses (NPD comes to mind) at what I believe is a reasonable price.

Again, I am not necessarily into restorations; I just try to make my vehicles better for my enjoyment.

Hope this helps and that I do not offend anyone with the changes I tend to make to my '73s!

BT

I think the NASA hood would look great on the coupe one guy around here has that and I prefer that look better than the standard hood.The hood on these cars is really long and the NASA hood just seems to grab your attention better.

Yeah, that does look great! I am going to have a vinyl roof, so I should set the car off pretty nice. The NASA hood would give it an aggressive look.

the dominator hood would work on the coupe no problem. Im seriously thinking about putting one on my coupe.. if it wasn't so damn expensive!

They do look good! but I think the budget just got cut after the Mach1! Might have to live with the coupe hood for a bit longer! LOL

Nice pic! I like the mach stripe on the coupe. maybe I should do that! It really breaks up the space. Mine will have a vinyl roof. It was going to be brown but maybe it should be black to match the stripes? It has ginger interior...would that look ok with a black vinyl roof?

On "Ice" (my '73 Grande), I am changing the vinyl top to black and going with the "Boss 351" type black stripe, along with the Tu-Tone NASA (NACA) hood.

The Painter is trying to convince me to leave the paint as "Gold Glow" instead of painting it medium bright yellow to match "Fire" (my '73 MACH I). It will probably be another month or so before "color" is applied, so I have some time.

So, I for one, feel the black "striping" is GREAT with the ginger interior and black vinyl top :)!

BT

Yeah Rocket...I think it would make a great combo.

Do some photo chop Cobra...or just have a beer, sit in the garage and stare at her for awhile...it'll come to you.

....you guy's notice that's my 3rd Sportster chop???

:D

Another option rather than changing the top color is to do the stripes in the color the top is now and have them painted on for a more custom look. I just did a boss 351 stripe on my convertible in a charcoal gray.

Back