Need Header recommendations

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dcueva88

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Fastback Restomod

351 Cleveland
I’ve tried 3 different headers so far,

I have the 72’ 351C converted to 4 barrel with power steering, AC has been removed , the last set of headers hit the starter - so I need to by a smaller starter??

Additionally I’m swapping EFI. and if I get shorty headers- will that really affect my EFI systems O2 sensor location. Shorty headers will resolve my problems of fitment but really would love to have full length exhaust.

Any brands and recommendations are plausible however I’ve bought Flowtech 32118FLT, they hit the starter

I’ve tried hooker 6920 headers they are for 67-70 351C but I tried them anyway since I found them cheap, they needed to be bent to fit ...

If there’s already a post for this please forward it to me!!

Thanks guys have a great day.
a0d959686e2336a81bd23ea2ea0bec05.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a very similar set-up, and went with Hooker Ceramic-coated Competition headers.  No issues with starter or power steering clearance and they do not get nearly as hot as standard chrome or painted headers.  I had a local exhaust shop weld-in the bung for the O2 sensor (Edelbrock E-Street fuel injection - upcoming project) just aft of the collector in the Pypes 2.5" stainless exhaust system - no issues.

There are tons of threads regarding header comparisons, BTW.

A PMGR starter may give you the clearance you need, plus give you better starts and reduce heat soak from radiated heat from the headers. One other thing you need to consider is how low the collectors hang.

Like Eric said, search this forum for headers, you'll find enough reading for a few days worth.

I'm running a set of Headman long tubes with no fitment issues at all, they don't hang low. I purchased them uncoated and had my local shop coat the outside with cera-kote ceramic coating in black and coat the inside with insul-cote. They do not get hot at all. I am now running a smaller starter but they fit just fine with the old original starter.

Back