Need help with 6 cyl dual exhaust sources

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MooseStang

Reaction score
My Car
72 Q-code Vert
72 L-code Vert
I'm looking to install a dual header soon, and am trying to locate an exhaust kit. I've run across some threads covering earlier model years, but can't seem to find anything 7173 specific.
I know the 6's are on the fringe, but does anyone have more info?

What motor would you be wanting to run dual headers and dual exhausts on? Aren't the 71-73 6cyl like the 200 and 250 inline 6? All the exhaust ports are on the same side of the engine, so it only had the single exhaust manifold.

Dual exhaust header (singular). The header comes in either a single or dual exhaust.

If you haven't been here before, it might be of some help...

https://fordsix.com/

Here's a 66 Falcon with a 200 and split Hooker Headers:

Last edited:
Sounds cool! You may have to go with a local muffler shop fabricating a custom system.
I would guess this is probably the right answer then. If somebody did come out with a kit, they'd probably only sell single digits. Not a lot of buyers out there looking to leave their 71-73 mustang with a 6cyl, but add a header and full dual exhaust.

Spitballing as having never done this before.

A standard V-8 dual exhaust setup of mufflers, tailpipes and midpipes, then a custom bent set of pipes to connect the headers to the midpipes. Pass exhaust pipe could cross over behind the transmission, or send it under the engine. Unless someone makes a kit, you'll be fabbing them up or having a shop make them.

Have you considered a larger diameter single exhaust (2-1/2")? I would think it would be just as effective as duals and be cleaner to run to the muffler. Not sure how that would affect sound, though, if that's what you're going for.

Have you considered a larger diameter single exhaust (2-1/2")? I would think it would be just as effective as duals and be cleaner to run to the muffler. Not sure how that would affect sound, though, if that's what you're going for.
Yes, I've seen those. I may need to consider single as well. Would certainly be easier and cheaper. May also work better with AC. Just not sure about how it would sound.
Plus, I may be given a dual header for free. I guess I'll plan out both systems.

Hooked had a 250 header for the Maverick.
HOO 6602 was the number I think.

Back