Need help with shifter

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eventhorizon

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q Code with factory ram air
Hi, a need to replace the bushings in my sloppy shifter. problem is, even with the front up on ramps i can't get my old age gut under the car to undo the linkage.
does anyone know how i can get under there OR can i somehow replace the bushings without disconnecting the linkage?

thanks.

Thomas Hanson

I do it all the time & I have a lift and ramps. It's easier to jack the rear up from the differential and put blocks of 2X4's or 6's bricks under the tires. The front I jack the x member do the same. It's time consuming to put on a lift & I don't like lugging the ramps around, so I save scrap lumber to use instead. On the c6 automatic linkage I had to use a hair dryer to heat the bushing lmao

4 speed or an automatic? Either way, you need to disconnect the shift rods to replace the bushings.

A set of wheel cribs is a game changer. I made these from scrap lumber. RaceRamps make nice lightweight foam cribs if money's more plentiful than time.

https://www.raceramps.com/c/cribs/
1678838213102.png

On the Race ramps, They work fantastic but the twelve inch tall ones have a hard time with most floor jacks clearing without using a block to help with the height to jack up the front.

Daniel carpenter has improved shifter lever mounting rubber bushings.
My linkage rod holes were egg shaped, so I filled them with brass brazing rod and re-drilled the bushing holes before replacing the plastic bushings. New plastic bushings in egg shaped holes will still be sloppy.

I am planning to rebuild our auto tranny shifter in the 73 Mach 1 this coming Car Season (only 4 more weeks, I hope). There are several YouTube videos that show how others have done this. I will likely check WCCC first for a rebuild kit. I know several resellers have them available.

If you find the shift rod had its pins worn too thin, I suggest using a Lokar PMA PASS-53104 shift rod (highly adjustable). I got ours from Summit Racing to use after transplanting an AOD in our 73 Mach 1, replacing a C4 auto tranny. https://www.summitracing.com/search?SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=PMA-PASS53104

On the Race ramps, They work fantastic but the twelve inch tall ones have a hard time with most floor jacks clearing without using a block to help with the height to jack up the front.

I built mine a bit too high, have to use my transmission cradle with 2x6s in it after I get the rear axle on jackstands. Kind of a PITA, but it's so worth it.

Back