Need Help With Value on 72 Convertible...UPDATE with pics and story

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Q Code Convertible
Hi guys,

Not familiar with verts like I am with my Mach 1 so looking for some input/guidance...

I have a chance to buy a 72 F code 302 with FMX convertible. I don't know much about car but am going to look at on Monday and want to be prepared for an offer. It is an original owner car, 58k miles and am told it has the original tires on it. Engine and trans have never been out. Car has not been driven for 25 years but owner was able to get it started. I have only seen one pic and don't know what options it may or may not have.

Couple questions...can you guys make out any options/upgrades from pics? You can see a deluxe door panel on inside.

Also, assuming it it rust free what would be a fair price?

Thanks Much

Jeff

wagb42.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Rust free and good paint up to $10K.

You can see rust on the fender so there is probably a lot more and it needs paint so I'm thinking $3,000 max.

it looks look like its missing the chrome on the rockers and the wheel opening, and like Vamach1 said about the body and paint, I agree with the Value of $3k

and since it hasn't ran in 25 yrs, you need to check the brakes.

I'm not an expert by any means but, from what I see in the pic, the seam between the passenger door and the right front fender looks to be uneven, possibly indicating a previous wreck ? Warrants checking into a little deeper anyway.

also, check the floors, these Convertibles like to leak in the rain, and they rust from the inside out, it might look good on the outside of the floor panels, but starting to rot from under the carpets on the inside.

Hey Jeff -

As mentioned, I'd look closely at the floor pans and into the cowls. With the exterior looking kinda rough, and depending on the pans (if the carpet is still all together it might be hard to check) and the cowl, 3K might be about right, more or less.

Jeff,

It's hard to tell much from that one pic about options. It has deluxe door panels but that may be standard on the verts; I don't know. The mirror holes look like standard mirrors. The back window is not straight & may be a major leak area for rust.

58k miles huh? Check for wear on the break pedal, should be some but not much wear. The engine compartment should have all the stickers, possibly have original wires and plugs even. Original tires? Yikes!...but cool too. See if he has documentation to validate those 58k miles.

$3k would be a great price but I'll say up to $5k if interior is in good shape and no rust in the floor pans. Maybe $7k if, big IF, the car is perfect except for the passenger side damage in the pic. Probably isn't perfect though. So 3-5k...depending on the rest of the cars condition.

I also agree on 3k. if the little bit we can see is that rough I find it hard to believe it only has 58,000 miles. If the mileage is true those owners didn't really treat the car well at all. The steering wheel looks like the 2 spoke with power steering from what i can see. I wish mine was power steering. Great options on the verts is A/C and the guage pods, as well as power windows. It looks like there is a rip in the top near the rear window. the rear seat pulls up pretty easily. sometimes you can pull the carpet back from there and see some of the floor pan issues if any. Good luck on your negotiating. It looks doable as far as I can see.

Jeff,

The mirror holes look like standard mirrors.

if its a basic 72' vert, then it came from the factory with a single chrome mirror mounted on the drivers side, and no passenger side mirror.

those holes look like an after market mirror was installed.

and they came with Deluxe interior (molded door panels, and confortweave seats.)

Go to a grocery store an buy an ice pick. without damaging carpet you can push right trhu in low area of floor pans trunk behind wheels. Convert top is $1100 plus more if boot missing and liner in roof well no good. See if roof works if not more cost. If this is the picture he posts you have to wonder what the rest looks like. Rust or collision damage would be big concerns. If everything we can't see is okay then maybe 3k not alot more

Jenny

Unless it is very short drive, I would ask for more pictures before spending time and gas to visit the car.

Go to a grocery store an buy an ice pick. without damaging carpet you can push right trhu in low area of floor pans trunk behind wheels. Convert top is $1100 plus more if boot missing and liner in roof well no good. See if roof works if not more cost. If this is the picture he posts you have to wonder what the rest looks like. Rust or collision damage would be big concerns. If everything we can't see is okay then maybe 3k not alot more

Jenny
If you come at my car with an ice pick. You better either have cash or a gun.

Jenny
" buy an ice pick. without damaging carpet you can push right trhu in low area of floor pans trunk behind wheels." :huh:

NO

Hey I hope you all understand that if I were looking at any of the cars you see here I wouldn't figure it was needed.....BUT this car we know has challenges. Vert with gone top leaking back window, visible rust. One member recommended pull back carpet. Fine ice pick used in inconspicious spots like floor boards and in undercar areas won't cause any damage. Take an awl and try it yourself. Rusted badly will yield otherwise nothing. And when it starts to yield you don't need even to push it through, youknow it's rotted. You don't do it on the outside, but this will probe areas we all know are challenges. I've used this approach on a 51 Buick to assess how wide spread and a 73 riviera that saved me. I don't try to hide it and if solid caused NO damage and is vert unintrusive if rotten metal is found.

I always come with cash and since I work at a prison and qualify for a CCW permit often a gun. I would never use it if the owner objected, I'd just put it down to rusted.

I STAND BY WHAT I SAID AND DO.

Hey I hope you all understand that if I were looking at any of the cars you see here I wouldn't figure it was needed.....BUT this car we know has challenges. Vert with gone top leaking back window, visible rust. One member recommended pull back carpet. Fine ice pick used in inconspicious spots like floor boards and in undercar areas won't cause any damage. Take an awl and try it yourself. Rusted badly will yield otherwise nothing. And when it starts to yield you don't need even to push it through, youknow it's rotted. You don't do it on the outside, but this will probe areas we all know are challenges. I've used this approach on a 51 Buick to assess how wide spread and a 73 riviera that saved me. I don't try to hide it and if solid caused NO damage and is vert unintrusive if rotten metal is found.

I always come with cash and since I work at a prison and qualify for a CCW permit often a gun. I would never use it if the owner objected, I'd just put it down to rusted.

I STAND BY WHAT I SAID AND DO.
Any scratches will soon become rust. If you scratch a floor pan guess where the rust will begin. DON"T DO IT!!!!!!

I have sort of learned the hard way that is best to buy the "most expensive- where expense is from being in good condition" car that you can afford- up to the point you want your car to be (menaing dont by a car show quality car if you want a good daily driver you will soon drive away the extra money). But if you buy a $4000 car it could cost you $6000 to turn it into a $7000 car- and part of the problem is often finding parts that you could afford if you found them.

Back