Need opinions on Redhead Steering

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just another update . . . yah it took a looong time to get that pitman arm off. The tool I used tensions the arm and then you smack it with a hammer. I hit it for a while on my workbench. After some time I took it outside, put it on granite ledge and hit it with a sledgehammer. It came off after a few minutes. I can't believe how much abuse that thing took.

At this point I filled the reservoir, pumped it, turned wheels full lock a bunch of time and repeated 4 time. I'm now letting it sit for a few hours to see if some air creeps into the reservoir. I'm hoping to fill it once more and be good to go.

I'll add some driving impressions tomorrow AM, hopefully! : )

Thanks again for all of the ideas/help. I'm almost there. . .

P.S. This job makes a serious mess. There's no really neat way to do this.

Last update . . . Rechecked fluid level this AM. All's well. Took it for a ride - fabulous. No play, tighter turning ratio.

I wouldn't throw out a good box for the upgrade, but if yours needs replacing, Redhead makes a great unit.

OK, one last update . . . . :)

I paid a $200 core charge when I ordered my steering box. When I sent back my steering box, they only credited me $160. They deducted $40 for "Not rebuildable part. Bad sector shaft."

I assume this is due to me removing the pitman arm with the puller. The end of the sector shaft was certainly beat up.

I understand how this works, but just be aware that you may not be getting the full core charge back and, in essence, end up paying more for the new steering gear. And there's no guidance as to exactly how much they will deduct from the core charge for damage.

So, I ended up paying $326 (product) + $40 (shipping) + $40 (non-reimbursed core charge) = $406

While I'm happy with the product and am enjoying my new steering, it's probably not a $406 upgrade.

OK, one last update . . . . :)

I paid a $200 core charge when I ordered my steering box. When I sent back my steering box, they only credited me $160. They deducted $40 for "Not rebuildable part. Bad sector shaft."

I assume this is due to me removing the pitman arm with the puller. The end of the sector shaft was certainly beat up.

I understand how this works, but just be aware that you may not be getting the full core charge back and, in essence, end up paying more for the new steering gear. And there's no guidance as to exactly how much they will deduct from the core charge for damage.

So, I ended up paying $326 (product) + $40 (shipping) + $40 (non-reimbursed core charge) = $406

While I'm happy with the product and am enjoying my new steering, it's probably not a $406 upgrade.
Well at least you're not getting ripped off on currency exchange on TOP of any other excuse they can come up with not to pay you back all your money.
The problem with sector shafts is 98% or more are worn out at the seal area due to dirt and water corroding the steel. They have to be machined, then hard chromed (hot spray process), then reground to size. That's an expensive process. The last one I did only cost me for the chrome and that was over a 100 bucks.
If you damaged the splines, I'm sorry, but that's on you.
This is what a typical sector shaft might look like coming out of a PS box.

Attachments

• IMG_1612.JPG
    IMG_1612.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 7
Back