Need some input on a 1972 Cougar XR 7

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
Hey guys, I know some of you have Cougars and deal in them some. This Gold Glow 1972 XR7 Q code Automatic with new paint and new vinyl top has caught my attention. Odd that it does not have air I think. Got magnums, console, AM/FM, three spoke and looks like a tilt but not sure.

Give me some idea if it is worth going after. Asking $6,000 so cash talks so would go in with $4,500 cash in hand offer probably it looks as good in person as the pics. They never do though, lol.

I need new medication got the itch again, lol. BTW he does not state mileage.

Looks pretty clean. I’m kind of curious as well. There is a 72 vert for sale here for $6,500 in red with black and 351c 2v. It has been for sale for over 6 months. I offered him $5k for it a month ago and he turned me down and is still for sale.

Are the stock bits from the engine available? If so that would be plus for me. The Q code is a big plus at that price. They drive the same as a 71-73 Mustang and they have become a bit more desirable the last few years as an affordable way to own a 70s car. If you just want the car, buy it. It is not an investment opportunity. Chuck

I had a 71 XR-7 M-code 4 speed car. Got it for a steal and it was one of my favorites. Has the same feel as the Mustang, albeit with a bit more hood... :). This one looks nicely optioned with everything I'd want in a Cougar - XR-7 package, AC, AM/FM and the Q-code engine.

$6k looks like a decent deal on the car, and if the body is solid I'd say go for it.

Here is a piece of info that may help...values it as a #3 driver after options at about $7k

Collector Car Value Report

1972 MERCURY COUGAR 351-163hp (8cyl-2V) AT

XR7 2dr Hardtop

#1 $1025

#2 $2650

#3 $6325

#4 $10150

#5 $15550

Add:

351-262hp (8cyl-4V)

20%

429-201hp (8cyl-4V)

50%

4spd manual trans

5%

Power windows

3%

Sunroof-power

15%

Deduct:

3spd manual transmission

-10%

No air conditioning

-10%

Manual steering

-5%

Here is a piece of info that may help...values it as a #3 driver after options at about $7k

XR7 2dr Hardtop

#1 $1025

#2 $2650

#3 $6325

#4 $10150

#5 $15550

Add:

351-262hp (8cyl-4V)

20%

429-201hp (8cyl-4V)

50%

4spd manual trans

5%

Power windows

3%

Sunroof-power

15%

Deduct:

3spd manual transmission

-10%

No air conditioning

-10%

Manual steering

-5%

I have not heard back from them but they are just a couple miles from me so for sure will go look. Interesting that you get 10% deduct for no air.

I found a tilt column for $350 in Atlanta also if anyone has to have one. In a Cougar also but same as mustang.

Well this cougar shows up here at my home today. He only lives a few miles from me will see how it goes. Roads are dry so he is bringing over and his son wanted to look at the mustangs.

The other 1965 Mustang I was looking at I think is a scam. Have tried to go view it in Atlanta twice and something cancels it each time on his end. I have a buyer for it if it was real.

In the 20's this morning so will just hit the high spots on the car look for rust in cowl, trunk and check VIN and take for a spin.

I do not need the car or really want it but if he will sell for $4,500 I will probably buy it to resell.

So if you see it show up on ebay it is real, lol.

David, if you buy it or not just get rid of that see through fuel filter, they are unsafe! They unscrew from vibrations while idling and driving and of course start to leak and will catch fire. Ask me how I know!

I did not even make him an offer. Just a driver quality car not very correct. Was original green now Gold Glow and still has green interior. H code so no add there. Trunk was solid no holes. the tail lights mount different on them so do not leak as bad. He has had the car for 35 years since high school. Paid $500 for it 35 years ago.

He asked my opinion on price I said $3,500 - $4,000. One guy has came from out of state twice to view so he likes it, lol.

No Cougar in my future.

Back