Need to choose an Instrument Panel

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Ford Mustang Convertible
Working on my 72 Dashboard. My old instrument panel is cracked and in bad shape. It is the original with dummy lights and no gauges. I want to keep the original look as much as possible but would love to upgrade to one with tach and gauges. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• Must side frt.jpg
    Must side frt.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Brian 72 controls.jpg
    Brian 72 controls.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 0
Time for a little self promoting...

The easiest way is to send the cluster to me. I can take care of a cracked case - I have a bunch w/o cracks. I can convert your dummy lights into a factory look tachometer. That is a lot easier than converting your non tach wiring over for a factory tach cluster.
I also got some accessory gauge pods with wiring recently so you can install factory Temp, Amp and Oil gauges. To make things easier I can convert the ammeter to a volt meter - more useful and easier to wire.

M7123S-thumb.jpg
M7123V-thumb.jpg
M7123VO-thumb.jpg

Time for a little self promoting...

The easiest way is to send the cluster to me. I can take care of a cracked case - I have a bunch w/o cracks. I can convert your dummy lights into a factory look tachometer. That is a lot easier than converting your non tach wiring over for a factory tach cluster.
I also got some accessory gauge pods with wiring recently so you can install factory Temp, Amp and Oil gauges. To make things easier I can convert the ammeter to a volt meter - more useful and easier to wire.

M7123S-thumb.jpg
M7123V-thumb.jpg
M7123VO-thumb.jpg
What kinda cost we looking at?

I sent my idiot light unit to Bob AKA TheRktmn and he did a great job and I thought, very reasonable. It absolutely looks like the original tach, but with the idiot lights still functioning. He was great to work with too. You can't go wrong.
While you're at it, upgrade all your 194 bulbs to LED's. For this upgrade, skip the eBay crap and contact Bill at HiPoParts. I recommend his Elite Series II. Take note that the ALT bulb MUST stay an incandescent 194 bulb.
https://www.hipoparts.com/

Attachments

• IMG_0218.JPG
    IMG_0218.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
What kinda cost we looking at?

Convert warning light pod to tach = 250.00

Accessory gauge pack (Oil, Amps, Temp) w/sub harness = 100.00

Convert ammeter to voltmeter = 50.00 with ALT face, 60.00 with BAT overlay

Replacement main cluster body = 0.00

Shipping TBD - the full cluster is usually about $30 in the lower 48.

(I can cover the Oil, Temp and Alt warning lights in the tach if you like.)

I had a full restoration of all my gauges and it was not cheap. I’ve found move things I’ve done for my resto end up costing on average $1500. My gauges were done by Orlando Mustang.

How long ago? I ask because I just did some tachs and volt meters for Orlando Mustang in July.

Convert warning light pod to tach = 250.00

Accessory gauge pack (Oil, Amps, Temp) w/sub harness = 100.00

Convert ammeter to voltmeter = 50.00 with ALT face, 60.00 with BAT overlay

Replacement main cluster body = 0.00

Shipping TBD - the full cluster is usually about $30 in the lower 48.

(I can cover the Oil, Temp and Alt warning lights in the tach if you like.)
Hi Bob, so I have no gauges, just the speedometer. I want to go with your complete setup. If I understand you, I give you 430 bucks send you my speedometer idiot light setup, and I get what looks like the factory gauges?

Ok great, it will have to be sometime in November because we are still using the car and I know me, this conversion will take me awhile to complete. I don’t want to miss the best convertible time in our opinion, Fall !

Not to take anything away from RocketMan, as his reputation is beyond excellent. But, we went in a different direction (I did not know of RocketMan at that point in time). We got a Dakota VHX instrument panel kit for both of our 1973 Mustangs, and are very pleased with how they turned out. I deem that approach to be a viable option for anyone who wants all analog instrumentation in their vintage Mustang.

In our case we began with both 73 Mustangs having idiot light instrument panels, so mov ing to oem analog gauges would have been very difficult and costly. Dakota offered a viable solution. For anyone wanting to go to all digital displays Dakota does that also. It is worth looking at.

https://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=489/mode=prod/prd489.htm
If Dakota is not to your liking, then I would certainly suggest working with RocketMan. You will not be disappointed. We have ordered quite a few items from him, and I read a lot of his comments he makes to others. He is the "real deal" when it comes to anything electrical on these older Mustangs.

Back