Need transmission mechanic

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Overcomer

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
Anyone know of a good transmission guy in Miami area?

I got a top loader 4 speed which didn't come with shifter or hardware and I bought the hurst install kit but I can't get it to work. I have two hurst competition shifters. Thank you:mad:

I'm about as far away as you can get and still be in the same state. I've rebuilt a few toploaders and even have one on my bench for a friend out of a 1968 390 GT.

But unless I can see what you need....

The problem is that I have the top loader on the ground and the shifter installed with the rods and everything is lined up using the Hurst kit's pin. But I can't get the shifter to go into reverse. It will shift fine., 1-2, 3-4. But can't get it go into reverse. Tried "slapping" left then up but only engages 1-2. I can move the reverse rod manually so its not binding on anything.

Please show a picture on the bracket between the shift lever and the transmission.

Should be a big hole in it where the shaft for the reverse lock should fit.

If you have the wrong bracket that hole can be missing and you may not get the shifter in reverse gear.

// Thomas

Back