Need tread sizes for 71 power steering unit.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eraiten

Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang convertible, 351C bored 30 over c6 with a shift kit
My 1971 mustang convertible with a 351c is almost street ready. I have the Saginsaw power steering unit rebuilt and now I need to know the sizes of the inverted flare fittings that attach the hoses to the unit. I have contact several companies and no one knows. Can someone please help.

Thanks
Ed

Last edited:
This has been posted on before, but, I'm going from memory here.
I think it is 11/16-18 on the HP line and 5/8-18 on the return. The 71 had the long HP hose, but the short one will also work. Get the correctly made hoses, don't rely on made up ones unless done by a professional Hydraulic shop , would be my advice.

Last edited:
+1, unless you have the equipment to make up high pressure hydraulic hoses either buy ready-made ones or have a local shop make them up. A local shop can use your old fittings to make up a new set. Never, ever, use gear clamps on any hose, low or high pressure.

Agreed to all previous comments on professionally made or reputable retailer. Blew the HP line back in 2016 while at an event. Talk about a mess. Fortunately, I just removed the belt on the pump and limped it back to the trailer. Think I bought the replacements from NPD and no problems since. Other that hours of cleanup from trans fluid all over engine bay.

Back