Negative battery cable ground tab

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpxr400

Reaction score
My Car
72 Mustang Q Code Convertible
Where does the ground tab go on the negative battery cable on a '72?

It's a QCode if that matters.

I've read it goes on the voltage regulator bolt, but a friend of mine who has a 73 sent me of a pic of it secured to the inner fender.

If it goes to the regulator: does it go under the regulator base, or between the mounting screw and the regulator?

Thanks !

Rick

This is where my 73 was / is on the inner fender. There is a tapped lug welded to the sheet metal.

P1060001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is where my 73 was / is on the inner fender. There is a tapped lug welded to the sheet metal.

P1060001.jpg
Thanks, mudbilly. That pic looks like it's the front side of the shock tower ?

That is not the "Ground Tab" - just the mounting tab to keep the cable in place. (notice it is isolated from the rubber)

THE TERMINATION of the ground is to the front of the block off the ear behind the alternator.

Mark

P.S. Just want to be sure we are talking about FACTORY wires and not a case of a "short parts store ground cable" and terminating it there!

That is not the "Ground Tab" - just the mounting tab to keep the cable in place.  (notice it is isolated from the rubber)

THE TERMINATION of the ground is to the front of the block off the ear behind the alternator.  

Mark

P.S.  Just want to be sure we are talking about FACTORY wires and not a case of a "short parts store ground cable" and terminating it there!
The factory ground cable indeed has a tab that acts as a chassis ground. It created a ground path connecting the battery, engine and the chassis. There is no other engine to chassis ground in any of the circuits. Note in the picture he appears to have a original or repop cable with the part # and "Motorcraft" stamping. Without that grounding tab in place, you'll get some really wonky electrical gremlins. 

The factory location was under the lower mounting screw on the voltage regulator. IMO, this is really not that great of a spot, especially if your holes are stripped out in the slightest. I would nut and bolt it directly to the fender apron with a good toothed lock washer(s) and a nylock nut.

Yes you are VERY RIGHT Hemikiller !! Just looked at the way the cable is a secondary ground.

The photo above is from a member in MD and is a correct cable - not sure what the OP (PA) has to use. (hope it isn't a aftermarket cable)

Mark

That is not the "Ground Tab" - just the mounting tab to keep the cable in place.  (notice it is isolated from the rubber)

Mark

P.S.  Just want to be sure we are talking about FACTORY wires and not a case of a "short parts store ground cable" and terminating it there!
it is definitely a ground tab. I was wondering what it was when I bought the new cable and it is attached to the internal wire, as was the original cable i removed.

thanks everyone for the confirmations, I posted before i read thru all of the replies :shootself:

I may have the wrong thread and a few days late, but this is where my 71 ground cable goes. This is a replacement cable, but is mounted exactly where the original was. On this replacement cable, the tab mounted under the regulator, the wire is stripped of insulation, thus grounding to the body. The terminal is under the starter cable support bracket, bolted the front of the engine.

Back