neutral safety switch trouble shooting

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Block MACH

Reaction score
My Car
73 MACH 1
I have a 73 mach 1 with some stating issues. How do I trouble shoot the neutral safety switch. The car came with the FMX transmission. so the switch is in the shiftier box.

Unplug and jumper the wires, that will tell you if it's the switch. You can also check voltage with a meter by back-probing the harness at the switch. make sure you have voltage both in and out of the switch.

The switch on a 73 should be on the transmission.
Well I took the neutral safety switch out of the shifter box last night. The switch did not look bad so I check it out using a multimeter. The switch is bad, it has an intermittent short, if the switch is wiggled just right it works and then it doesn't work, tricky.

The switch on a 73 should be on the transmission.
Well I took the neutral safety switch out of the shifter box last night. The switch did not look bad so I check it out using a multimeter. The switch is bad, it has an intermittent short, if the switch is wiggled just right it works and then it doesn't work, tricky.
Neutral safety switch is in the shifter for Mustang/Cougar with FMX or with 429 C6. Search on "neutral safety" and "c9zx" for threads on cleaning the switch. Chuck

Back