Neutral safety switch

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach1 Q-code 351CJ
1968 289 Coupe
2005 Mustang V6 Legend Lime
1968 Chevrolet Nova
1964 Corvette Stingray
1986 Corvette "Official Pace Car"
1986 Mercedes 190D
The neutral safety switch on my 72 6C is not working how it should.

Is there a possibility that i can rebuild the switch ?? or do i have to buy a new one for $ 130,- !!??

kind regards,

JB

Is there a possibility that i can rebuild the switch ?? or do i have to buy a new one for $ 130,- !!??

kind regards,

JB
I never heard of anyone rebuilding one.{i could be wrong}..you mite be stuck with the 130 bucks..They dont go bad very much..So just a guess that they dont make much rebuild parts for them...or any.

kind regards,

JB
No rebuild parts are available. However, I repaired/ cleaned the contacts in mine. Before you attempt the following, perform the mechanical linkage and Neutral Safety Switch adjustment contained in the Ford Shop Manual. You may save yourself a lot of work. Hold the shifter level to keep it from over rotating, and damaging the switch, while you loosen/tighten the nut that retains the lever to the switch. Dis-assembly is a bit tricky in that 2 rivet heads have to be drill off, and the crimps on the pot metal case have to be gently pried back to allow the plastic switch base to be removed, exposing the contacts. There are 2 small springs and 2 roller bearing like parts that are inside. They are easily lost. Clean everything, burnish the copper contacts, apply a little bit of grease, and re-assemble. Carefully crimp the metal case to retain it to the plastic body. Chuck

Guys , i already made the right adjustments via the 72 shop manual.

Sometimes it works fine and sometimes the engine doesn't cranck at all.

problems started when i had a transmission leak and lot's of oil where spilled over the switch.

Maybe a good clean will make it work again.

If not , i have to buy me a new switch.

Thanks for the fast response,

JB

You might try using electronic contact cleaner or alcohol to clean out the switch. The last switch I adjusted didn't work after the shop manual adjustment. I loosened the 2 small retaining bolts, rotated the switch a small amount until the switch worked reliably.

Okay Chuck , i'll take it from the transmission and give it a good clean first.

JB

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys ,

I rebuild my neutral switch , i carefuly drilled out the 2 rivets and opened the switch.

I believe it was the 40 year old grease who started the problem.

I cleaned everything carefuly with a solvent , used 2 new contact springs inside the switch and relubed carefuly.

I believe that almost every neutral switch is restorable.

Mustang purists can not , you have to drill the rivets completely through and use 2 pop-rivets to put the switch together again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I should do that with mine after all the hoopla I been through trying to get the correct one for my car.

Back