Never installed hyd. roller cam before

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jims72

Reaction score
My Car
Original owner of 72 flat back
B'out to pull the trigger on a Howards H.roller for a 4bbl Cleve. Is this installation any different than installing a flat tappet cam, dun that many times? All the crap, not from here, mentions "buttons", spacer bearings, distributor gear failures. I sent an email to Howies about the dist. gear and waiting for a reply.........j

Nothing "different" about the installation, other than ensuring you have the proper material distributor gear, and that you follow their preload procedures.

Howards uses both SADI iron and billet cores for their cams, which require different gears. Due to the shortage of cam cores, I would call them with the serial number on the cam card to verify exactly which gear you need, and to buy it from them. My cam was supposed to be a SADI core but was made from billet and ate the distributor gear in under 50 miles. A call to them revealed this change, and they sent me a replacement gear. I still had to put in hours of work, a new oil pump, gallons of oil to flush the motor, and a handful of oil filters.

Gooood advice, thanks. I'll do it.......j

Back