New AZ Member

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteG41

Reaction score
My Car
351c 2v, FMX Transmission. Ordered from Sanderson Ford in Phoenix, 99k original miles.
He everyone, glad I came across this forum! I will be picking up a 1973 Mach 1 this weekend. I have wanted one ever since I was little seeing as my dad had a 71. I am sure I will have a ton of questions for you all that know way more than me. I have experience from working on a 78 F150, but my mechanical knowledge is a little limited. It is in pretty great shape, but is definitely a project. Runs a little rough, definite exhaust and vacuum leaks that I will have to try to nail down. Originally ordered in AZ, so very minimal rust. Just a dime size hole behind the rear passenger wheel. Should be pretty easy to repair. 99k original miles, and has pretty much been untouched!

Welcome from Central New York.
You've definitely found the right place for everything 71-73 Mustang related.
Good luck with the project.
Mike

Oh yeah, we like pictures.
Forgot to include those! First thing I need to do is fix the passenger window. The regulator works so I am all good there, but its off the tracks and sitting down in the door. Not entirely sure which component I need to replace, and google hasn't helped me much.

Attachments

• IMG_9226.JPG
    IMG_9226.JPG
    476.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_9247.JPG
    IMG_9247.JPG
    288.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_9228.JPG
    IMG_9228.JPG
    526.4 KB · Views: 35
Welcome from Ohio and congrats. As mjseakan mentioned post some pics of it when you get it. What part of the country are you in?
Yep just did! In a rush and forgot to include them. I am in Phoenix, AZ. Benefit is that its dry, downside will be working on it in a carport in 100+ degrees. Win some, lose some.

Welcome...it looks like you have a car with great bones to restore... although 100+ degrees in the carport could be challenging....I guess with lots of liquids (beers) it should be no problem
keep us in the loop

Welcome...it looks like you have a car with great bones to restore... although 100+ degrees in the carport could be challenging....I guess with lots of liquids (beers) it should be no problem
keep us in the loop
Thank you! Yes, many cold refreshments will be necessary. I am pretty excited. Still has the original dealer plate from 73, and while I won't get the original title, I will however get a picture of it. Small victories I guess. It idles fairly rough, but smooths out when you give it the onions so I am assuming the exhaust/vacuum leaks are the main source of my problem there. Ran a compression test, got 148, 150, 152, and 151. The loan a gauge from Orielly started giving me problems though so the other cylinders were all over the place. I got readings of 0, then 90, then 30, all on the same one plug hole. Cant imagine I would be able to put it in gear and take it around the block with dead cylinders.

Welcome from Fort Mohave, AZ; can get a bit hotter than Phoenix. Since it’s all new to you, try getting the Autozone compression guage and test the bank that the O’Riley gauge crapped out on. I’m sure you know a compression test is a very good diagnosis data point for future problem solving.

Welcome from Fort Mohave, AZ; can get a bit hotter than Phoenix. Since it’s all new to you, try getting the Autozone compression guage and test the bank that the O’Riley gauge crapped out on. I’m sure you know a compression test is a very good diagnosis data point for future problem solving.
Much appreciated! Yeah it was pretty annoying, got the first 3 passenger side cylinders, sporadic on the next 3, then picked up cylinder 7. Knowing the ones that did work had almost the same and were 148+, gave me a little piece of mind. They dont make it easy accessing the plug holes though, thats for sure!

Welcome from Chicago! Looks like you have a nice solid car to start with, enjoy!
Thank you! I’ve been looking for a while but this one stood out. Going to be fun learning along the way! I’m already sure I’ll be utilizing the forum a lot.

Access and logistics were not high on the priority list in designing these cars, so it seems.
Not a bit. At the same time I’m going from working on a 300 inline 6, to the 351. Don’t think there was an easier motor to work on than that! The good thing is I’m not relying on this to be a DD, yet, so I can take my time getting things sorted.

Greetings from Mesa! Give me a PM and we can hook up. I've been an owner of these Mustangs for over 30 years and have some shade tree mechanic skills too. (I also have a working compression tester). I can help you out where I can. I am excited for you to get the car that you love.

Back