New Buy: 1971 Boss 351

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm curious about the non-chrome front bumper. Is that something special on a Mexican Boss or was it swapped out by a previous owner?
I was wondering the same thing.  I removed the bumper when I pulled the engine and it's definitely metal.  It looks like it's been painted.  Stupid question: so I assume by your question chrome bumpers are correct for a 1971 Boss?

Greetings!  Awesome car - congrats! ::thumb::

The Bosses came with chrome front bumpers, and the Mach 1s came with the 'urethane' front bumper, which is why yours looks a little like a Mach 1 with Boss 351 stickers.  I have the opposite, my Mach 1 came with a urethane bumper, but my painter couldn't figure out the primer, so I went with a chrome bumper instead (I was getting too close to a specific car show I wanted to participate in, so I put it aside for the time being).  I actually like the chrome bumper on mine, not because it makes it look more like a Boss 351, but because it goes well with the rest of the chrome on my car and the light pewter paint.  I think the painted bumper looks sharp on yours - it fits really well and isn't distorted from age, as I've seen many become.

The Bosses also came with Corporate 'dog dish' with trim rings wheels as standard, but everybody seems to throw Magnum 500s on them as well, so it seems there are a lot more 'non-original' Boss 351s out there than one might imagine.  

The Marti Report should be able to help you with the particulars, should you choose to restore it back to its original state... which again, is completely your choice - it's your car, after all.  The big thing is to enjoy the car, since I'm sure it wasn't exactly cheap to purchase.  If your form of enjoyment is to have a car you spent a LOT of money on and are afraid to drive it because of the risk at losing value, then that's what you do.  But these cars were meant to be driven and enjoyed while doing so... so I say, good luck in getting it up and running, enjoy the Hell out of it, and keep us posted while doing so.

::thumb::

The Bosses also came with Corporate 'dog dish' with trim rings wheels as standard, but everybody seems to throw Magnum 500s on them as well, so it seems there are a lot more 'non-original' Boss 351s out there than one might imagine.  
My father's Boss (he has owned since 73) came with the optional sport caps. 
71hubcaps.jpg

Although, he has always run Magnum 500s as long as I have been around.

Your Boss is very sharp!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Sport Caps were optional wheel covers, as well.  Personally, I like them better than the dog dishes.  It's all about personal taste and preference - ain't nothin' wrong with Magnum 500s, either... I just noticed that most of the Boss 351 pictures I've seen have the Magnums, which I suppose is accepted by the purists since they're a factory wheel option.

I scored a set of sport caps for mine when I had the stock steel wheels on it rather than the dog dishes, so my 'from the factory' pictures had it looking the way I would've ordered mine, if would've been old enough at the time, that is. ;)

Hello from the New Jersey. Beautiful vehicle. May not be making a friend here, but leave the original motor specs as built. Buy a 351 C 2V and have it warmed over for some driving. Just sayin'. But ...it was your money, and it's your decision. Do what you want.

Back