New Carb

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
H Code 351C
Well, I finally broke down an ordered a new Edlebrock Performer 2750 Intake (Ordered install kit from Jegs that comes with gaskets and RTV) and Edlebrock Performer 1406 Carb. I picked up the Throttle Lever Kit 1483 and Throttle Cable Plate 1493 as well.

Those of you that have made the switch... Any additional materials needed?

Those of you that have made the switch... Any additional materials needed?
Yes, probably a box of tuning needles and jets...or a Quick Fuel carb that you can easily tune.

Make sure to check the float drop before installing it. Alot of people talk bad about Edeobrock carbs but I love mine, it performs excellent.
Will do thanks.

I may be posting up some questions as I go, this is a new adventure for me.

I assume you had to remove the distributor to install the manifold?

Jeff, Don't make the guy choose between beer or whiskey. I suggest both, AFTER, the install is done.:p Chuck

Yea that throttle bracket is no good IMO.

They make a throttle bracket for 351W that I redrilled 1 hole and used;

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-1491?seid=srese1&gclid=CLSVruPA_coCFQiqaQod-RkDRQ

To my knowledge there is no 351C throttle bracket adapter.

Throttle kick down will be about an inch short and there are threads here that some have added a bit

of length to make it work.

Make sure when the throttle pedal is floored the carb is WOT... when i got my car it was abt 3/4 of WOT PO had

everything jacked up.

Paul

Hate to see that GM stuff on a Cleveland but for out of the box bolt on and go performance you can't beat your choice.

So - you must hide it under a ram air set up. That big ole honker will hide that GM carb just fine.

Paul of MO

GM carb????? it isn't a quadrajet. I thought the eddie carbs where based on the AFB design that was used on mopar vehicles. Why don't you just send back your Edelbrock carburetor since it is a steaming pile of junk, mine failed to get that memo:-/

Mopar / GM / Fiat - they are all the same - not Ford.

If they are bought brand new then they are good right out of the box nearly all of the time. Used carbs of any brand have more issues - if they were great they would not be for sale.

I recently received new Summit branded 2008 series carb and really liked it - out, on, running, perfect, did not even have to adjust the idle. (hiding it under a ram air set up).

My next engine will have new fuel injection "carb" on it - I really want to see how well they work. Leaning towards MSD as I have used MSD stuff for over 40 years.

- Paul of MO

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried an Edelbrock on an FE several years ago and wasn't impressed, didn't work good out of the box. I used it because I bought an Edelbrock manifold at the same time.

I'll stick with my Holley until I switch to EFI.

At least the Summit carburetor has a passing resemblence to a Ford carburetor.

There are two versions of the Eddy ccarb . One is set lean for economy and typically runs like crap . The other is the standard version and runs like crap less often, HOWEVER, even if it does NOT run like crap, it does NOT mean the jetting is ideal for that particular engine.

There is a huge difference between a parts changer and a person whom is a "tuner" which I am fairly decent at, and there is a big difference between a car that simply runs "ok" and one that has been properly tuned.

Wow i am shocked everyone missed what you said about the Distributor NO do not take the Distributor out there are tons of pics of the front of the motor and you do not need to remove it might want to take the cap off to make it easier to work around but if you remove the distributor and do not put it back correctly your hosed. You don't need to remove it to do the manifold, just start from the back tip it in under the distributor and set it in use silicone on the end rails as talked about in other posts not the rubber "s"seals in the kit as they can slip out while getting it in place.

Here is the link to another post here about the gaskets on a cleveland and to use silicone instead of the rubber "S" gaskets http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-351c-4v-running-rough?page=2&highlight=manifold

Back