New Cowl Came In Friday

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Intxmach1

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
Me and my Mustangs Best Christmas new Cowl came in this Fri Via Dynacorn and Ohio Mustang. After manny nights/phone calls / internet searches on trying to locate a usable / non rusted upper/lower cowl assembly that was going to be the major obstacle in the start of the body restoration is finaly over.( my lower was rebuildale but the upper was almost non existant ) Based on the appearance of this new Dynacorn cowl the quality appears to be first class and I can only hope imagine/believe the fit will be as good as the appearance is . For those concerend about it being for a non ac car and not the ac version the minor metal work that will be needed to convert/change/cover the additional horn is so minor considering what we are able to start off with. Don from Ohio Mustang was very helpfull in this buy/transaction and did mention that only a few blower motor brackets underneath needed to be reused/added when he receieved his cowl and gave it the once over inspection.

I'm hugely interested in the specifics of the conversion to an A/C version. Debating dissecting a donor car (I have one with a reasonably sound cowl) versus the fresh metal.

remove lh top hat

cover hole

salvage 2 blower motor housing brackets from old cowl

install them on the new cowl

I think that's it

So AC cars don't have a driver's side top hat?

Μy 71 factory air coupe has neither top hat......

I am definitely interested in progress pics, as mine is rusted out and will need to be replaced when I start dissecting it.

Last edited by a moderator:
A/C cars have a fresh air vent on the pass side only

Heater box bolts up to the hole

Non A/C cars have a fresh air vent on both sides

Plastic ducts with pull cables bolt to each side

Like I said, mine doesn't have a vent on either side.... looked several times to make sure.

I suspect it has been patched or modified at some point in it's life

Have never seen a 71-3 mustang with no vent

Some after market add on a/c systems want the hole blocked off

I am only the third owner, the first owner had it stolen two months after he bought it. It was found almost a year later in the woods with the wheels missing. The second owner bought it from the dealer, since the previous owner had bought a new car with the insurance money. They had it till a year ago when I bought it. The only thing they did to it,at least what I was told, was add vinyl, and had it repainted in the 90's.

Back