New engine new vibration

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayro

Reaction score
My Car
73 mustang baby blue with clevo 351
So update for those who may be interested. I fitted a fresh built 351 Cleveland to my 73 and unfortunately when taking off from a stop position there is a shocking shutter through the car.

So transmission removed today and stall converter removed. Ran the engine and confirmed it’s balanced and running well. Mechanic done some tests and advised the stall converter is the issue. It’s a brand new stall converter but (I’m certainly no expert) he found the things been made pretty crap and apparently this is enough to be causing my issues 🤞🙏

Attachments

• IMG_4408.MOV
    31.2 MB
Wow that's way off. What brand converter is that? I need to buy mine in the next couple weeks when my engine gets out of Dyno jail, and I think I might want to avoid that brand.

Wow that's way off. What brand converter is that? I need to buy mine in the next couple weeks when my engine gets out of Dyno jail, and I think I might want to avoid that brand.
Purchased here in Australia through Rocket Industries. It’s a Hughes stall converter. Yeh my mechanic wasn’t impressed with it at all but happy to find the problem

Wow, good you inspected, aside vibs, that’s a quick trans pump killer!
I use a 2.5k stall speed lock hugues for my cleveland/AOD and have no issues. It did make whinning noise when upshiting in overdrive under heavy load during the first hundred miles. Then gradually stop doing it. Since then, hundreds of miles further. No noise and it’s doing what it’s supposed to. I wonder if the goo I used to assemble the trans, now completely dissolved, has to do with that.
Glad it wasn’t assembled the way yours was!
You should contact them, show them the vid. If you do, let us know what they do

No matter the brand check runout, welds and balance weight of parts when you can, new does not mean good anymore but stoked you found it!

Wow, good you inspected, aside vibs, that’s a quick trans pump killer!
I use a 2.5k stall speed lock hugues for my cleveland/AOD and have no issues. It did make whinning noise when upshiting in overdrive under heavy load during the first hundred miles. Then gradually stop doing it. Since then, hundreds of miles further. No noise and it’s doing what it’s supposed to. I wonder if the goo I used to assemble the trans, now completely dissolved, has to do with that.
Glad it wasn’t assembled the way yours was!
You should contact them, show them the vid. If you do, let us know what they do
Yeh mate will be in touch with them. I’ll post when they reply 👍

Back