New Engine Noise

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, for the feedback.

OK, I was sort of hoping this thread would die and I even considered deleting it, but to hopefully save the next dude some time, Here goes...

My name is The Dude and I'm an idiot. 

That crazy sound that changed all the time and I spent hours taking crap apart, poking, prodding, stressing on, in the back of my mind thinking I might need to rebuild this thing and wasting your time on was....

A header bolt fell out and another couple were loose. 

There I said it. I'll be turning in my tools now. 

:lollerz:    I can't help but laugh.  I love your line "My name is The Dude and I'm an idiot".  :rofl:     Best laugh I have had in a while.   We have all been there at one time or another so don't beat yourself up over it.  At least it was nothing serious and an easy fix.  Glad to see you are up and running again.  It was a good learning lesson for us all.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are not an idiot, trust me I know some who are. Exhaust leaks can be real foolers, guess how I know. I'm glad it is an easy and cheap fix. Chuck

A couple people here did mention exhaust holes and the like (thanks!) and I crawled around under the car, poked around etc. and didn't find anything of course not ever noticing the actual bolt not there. I had just tightened up the header bolts about a month before this so didn't even occur to me that they might have loosened so fast. It just never sounded like the exhaust to me until the very end as it seemed to be getting louder and louder as time went on. This was all in the driveway as I wasn't going to be driving this thing like that. 

On the plus side I did do a bunch of maintenance and little stuff along the way so it wasn't all wasted time by any stretch. 

And, yeah, we've all made dumb mistakes like this. But we don't generally have a thread dedicated to them.  :classic_wacko:

I appreciate everyone documenting their dumb mistakes; it keeps me from making them. 

As for me, I NEVER make a mistake... :whistling: :lollerz: :rofl:

On the plus side, glad I'm not the only one to have fallen into the loose header nuts/bolts trap. Maybe a new club page "My Loose Nuts"

Dude! don't beat yourself up! Remember we all are a bunch of "Dudes" who love wrenching on these sleds. $h*t happens and I personally am very glad you started this thread and shared. We followed and were right there with you. Some of us were trying to learn others with more experience were trying to help. We live and learn and sometimes we laugh at the silly simple things but it's all good bro. I wish I could have been there to see your face when you discovered the cause. I think we would have both laughed at your expense and then brother, I would have bought you a few beers and kicked back. We are all friends here man.

Back