New Ford F150 Ad with 7123 Mach1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midlife

Shorts checker
Reaction score
My Car
No Mustangs at the moment.
I've seen it over the past 2 days: a new F150 advertisement on TV, towing a white Mach1. Later, the owner is using a pressure washer (!) to clean the Mach 1. OMG!

Oddly enough, I saw almost that exact same rig driving up a main road near my house about 3 months ago (F-150 towing a white '71-'72 on a flat bed - it had dog-dishes, though). Still haven't heard anything about someone getting a 'new' '71-'72 Mach 1 in town.

Maybe it's just my eye, bit the Mach-1 on the trailer TOTALLY upstages the truck that's pulling it!
The commercial makes the truck look like, just a tool to obtain the real prize.

I was fine with the commercial until I saw the power washing. I am sure it was done intentionally to give the sense of tremendous power with the washing, in parallel with the power of the engine from the truck. I hope the owner was planning to repaint the car afterward. I am certain most folks would not have picked up on the incorrect use of the power washer, and would have remained transfixed on the Message Of Power. It is sometimes so hard to be knowledgeable enough to know dumbness when it is seen or heard.
Maybe it's just my eye, bit the Mach-1 on the trailer TOTALLY upstages the truck that's pulling it!
The commercial makes the truck look like, just a tool to obtain the real prize.
Excellent point, and akin to my observation, although until I saw your comment I did not give it a lot of thought. It was more of a background fleeting thought. But, you are dead on.

You guys are all wet, LOL The power washer nozzle is plenty far away enough so it won't damage anything on that pretty Mach. We use power washers every day in my business, and it's all about the operator and who trains him/her. Use the correct nozzle, and stay far enough away, and it is a far more efficient way of washing anything, with much less water used.

I've asked chat GPT what he thought about power washing a classic car: "Using a power washer on a classic car is like trying to remove a splinter with a jackhammer - it's just not gonna end well! Show that car some TLC and give it a gentle hand wash instead. Your car and your wallet will thank you."

I've asked chat GPT what he thought about power washing a classic car: "Using a power washer on a classic car is like trying to remove a splinter with a jackhammer - it's just not gonna end well! Show that car some TLC and give it a gentle hand wash instead. Your car and your wallet will thank you."
Not sure who chat GPT is, but since it won't hurt your skin if you do it right, how the hell will it hurt your car? Yes, can you hurt it, of course, if you're a moron who holds it 5 inches away with a red or yellow nozzle on it. And of course you still hand wash it with a high quality mitt and gentle soup. The power washer is for initial dirt removal that would otherwise scratch the car's finish if you wipe it, (plus fill your mitt with dirt that will make it like sandpaper), just like you would do with a regular hose, but with far less water and much more effectiveness, then use it for rinsing after hand washing it with a high quality mitt and gentle soup. I'm the best detailer I know, (and believe me, no one who knows me will argue that point), and I have NEVER damaged anything with a power washer.

@Marks1 , chat GPT is an artificial intelligence chatbot.

As my view on this washing method: if you have spent a lot of time restoring a car as I did and do, you would never ever use a power washer. No matter the distance. Not perse linked to the pressure but by the amount of water far greater than rain that will enter places that you want to avoid to have wet and stay wet for a very long time. Cowl vent, rockers, doors... especially if your car has not been restored, there are tons of places on our cars that are bare metal.

Last edited:
Fabrice, not trying to argue with you, but you use LESS water with a power washer, which is why the DEP and other government agencies prefer us to wash with a pressure washer. That said, it takes using one with a brain, you don't use the pressure the way you are suggesting, you don't direct it at those locations where it will force water in to the areas you mention.

Last edited:
Hmm. I haven't use water to wash my Mustang, other than the wheels and tires, for years. My F150, on the other hand, is exposed to a pressure washer often.
Agreed, most times I use a detailer spray like McGuire's. after I use my duster. Water for the wheels and tires only. But, last year we took the 65 C2 Coupe to a show, and the field it was in had some mud holes, and even though I crawled through them, I got some mud up in the wheels wells and on the sides of the car. I knocked it off with the pressure washer, so I wouldn't scratch the dark blue paint with the mud. She still looks fine, I didn't blow the paint off, LOL.

Attachments

• IMG_6663.JPG
    IMG_6663.JPG
    1,020.7 KB · Views: 0
Agreed, most times I use a detailer spray like McGuire's. after I use my duster. Water for the wheels and tires only. But, last year we took the 65 C2 Coupe to a show, and the field it was in had some mud holes, and even though I crawled through them, I got some mud up in the wheels wells and on the sides of the car. I knocked it off with the pressure washer, so I wouldn't scratch the dark blue paint with the mud. She still looks fine, I didn't blow the paint off, LOL.
Nice 'vette!

You guys are all wet, LOL The power washer nozzle is plenty far away enough so it won't damage anything on that pretty Mach. We use power washers every day in my business, and it's all about the operator and who trains him/her. Use the correct nozzle, and stay far enough away, and it is a far more efficient way of washing anything, with much less water used.
Fair enough.
I paused the commercial 3 seconds in to check out the Mach 1...

Is that rear spoiler on backwards???
I had to re-run the beginning shot of the Mustang to see, but yes. It is on backward where someone used the sweeping lines of the wing tips to guide how they mounted it. Using the "thicker edge is the leading edge (forward)" rule for all air foils ends up with the wing tips being swept in a counter-intuitive direction. It is easy to see how folks get it wrong so often.

Good catch...

Back