New from Corona, Californi

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

roadwarrior

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Sportroof, original V8 gage a/c 3spd car that was very unloved

1971 convertible purchased from original owner
Hi all,

Sorry for the long intro, have covered a lot of ground before getting here. Had been looking long ago for a 1971-1973 Mustang site, only found one looong ago for people with 71-73 Mach 1’s. Don’t know what ever happened to that one. Joined a few other Mustang and Ford forums, those didn’t seem to be too up on a Mustang unless it was a pre-71 or a Fox body. Kind of gave up, for a long while. Somehow found this forum last year, figure I had better get going again.

I mostly own Chevy’s, most of those are A-body cars (Monte Carlos, El Caminos and a Big Block Chevelle wagon – most recent project finally on the road, hope it’s OK to post this - http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=352858 ). I also have a 71 Corvette, a GMC Van (nasty brute), and the family car, a Magnum SRT8. Very hands on and have had grease under my finger nails since forever…

Never was into “Mustangs”, except for the 1971 thru 1973 body style, and then only the fastbacks. I loved the body lines, the scooped hoods, and the idea of a window that was THAT BIG that you couldn’t easily see out of. I can thank Mr. Halicki for that. Really never thought I’d ever buy one, but never thought I’d own a van or a Dodge either, so…

Had an opportunity to get a fastback with some cool options and no real important pedigree (ie, not a Boss or a Mach), so if I heavily modified it or customized it no one would care. That was the original plan. Eventually my project scope changed and I just wanted to make the car a decent stock-ish looking driver. However, back when I got it people were using these as donors for earlier Mustangs and most Mustang people didn’t care about these years.; a customer at a restoration parts place in Fullerton was giving me grief for owning a car that wasn’t a “real Mustang ‘cuz it’s too big, har har har, unlike my ’66, har har”. Had to tell him that Ford’s VIN id’d the car as a Mustang, and besides, he was just jealous because he couldn’t straight-drop a 429 into his without a torch and a shoehorn. He didn’t like that…

Anyway, glad to find some like minds and kindred spirits.

Best to all,

Tom

71 fastback - Purchased in 1999 for $700, was going to the scrapyard as part of the buyback program. 302/3 speed manual/AC/console/gages. No power steering or power front disc brakes. Interior was gutted and/or missing: no dash pad or door top trim panels, no back seat area parts or sheet metal, missing console, passenger seat would fall all the way back, driver’s seat back wouldn’t latch and had front mounts of sliders broken, door hinges and latches were shot (passenger door latch (and body flex) allowed door to pop open in left turns). Car wouldn’t charge and would overheat (easy one, needed to have the fan belts adjusted to the correct tightness). Brake shoes were installed haphazardly and adjuster screws were swapped side for side, so didn’t adjust, but this didn’t matter as the master cylinder was worn and wouldn’t build system pressure. The shifter was not completely attached to the transmission, and when one would disengage the clutch, the clutch pedal would stay on the floor…

Car was in a parking lot the day before I was going to take delivery and was backed into. Fender, bumper and grille were damaged. Ended up getting the car for $300.

Fixed a lot of the above faults, replaced the front suspension and bought new KYB shocks. Car became more driveable. Bought a wrecked 71 coupe with power steering and power front disc brakes, a 351W in running condition and a decent interior, so was able to get the car to stop and steer better, as well as have seats that wouldn’t kill me. Eventually would put the 351W into the car as the 302 in it was done. A buddy had a 69 Cougar with a Toploader and a 9” diff, so my car got an extra gear and a heavier diff, which it probably will never need. Later, I found a wrecked 72 Cougar parts car, so was able to get power windows and a tilt column, and a spare 9”.

Currently trying to get the fuel system sorted, as 40+ years has taken its toll on the parts and hoses. Car is running and running fairly well, but has an intermittent rich running condition that needs to be sorted out. Also could use an electronic ignition…

Back when

Now front

Now side

Now int

71 convertible - As many here have found, when you own one kind of car, people come to you and say, “I know where one of those is for cheap. You want it?” That’s how I got the parts cars above. Finally one I had offered to me wasn’t a parts car.

And yeah, not a fastback, but who can say “NO” to a convertible?

302/auto/ps/pdb/console, 71,000 miles when I bought it. Was owned by the cousin of a close friend for all but 1500 of those miles. Very, very little rust in body, lots in the exhaust. Needs to be freshened up. Had and still has carb issues, but I have not had time to get into it too deeply. I get it running decently and then it get’s funky, so I get fed up and park it. At least it has a home.

::welcome:: from Maine

Welcome - and may I say, both of your cars photograph ridiculously well. I love the nose-in-the-air look of your convertible too. Maybe it's just a touch too much positive camber that's creating the look, but I can't get enough of it.

What's the VIN sequence number on your '71 Sportsroof? Must be an early bird to have the chrome trim along the rear edge of the hood and fender ends.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello and welcome.

I've been looking to your link about your "colossus" job, really nice job you did on your station wagon, what a job!!! I wish to have all your knowlegde to do the same on my car.

Hi and ::welcome:: from Luxembourg, Europe.

Believe it or not, I've been to your town. You live right next to the contributor to my other hobby: The Fender guitar factory!

I took their guided factory tour in 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back